William Andrews (c.1804)
& Sarah Cheek
William Andrews (Anders), son of Rev. Mark ANDREWS & Elizabeth BAILEY, was born abt. 1804 in Orange Co., NC, and died 1877 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (1) Sarah "Sally" Cheek, daughter of Robert "Robin" CHEEK, Jr., & Martha ANDREWS, Aug. 23, 1823, in Orange Co., NC. She was his 1st cousin. She was born May 1801 and died abt. 1870 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (2) Lydia Caudill, daughter of Rev. Daniel David "Jack" CAUDILL & Winifred SHUMATE, widow of Meredith D. HILL, on Aug. 12, 1870, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Mar. 4, 1834, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 12, 1903. Lydia is buried at the Blevins Cemetery on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Milepost 244.5, Alleghany Co., NC. William Andrews' burial place is unknown.
Children of William Andrews & Sarah "Sally" Cheek:
- +Leander Andrews (Anders), b. 1828, Orange or Ashe Co., NC; d. 1882, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Phariba CAUDILL, daughter of Jesse P. CAUDILL & Sarah ROBERTS, abt. 1849 (b. 1830; d. 1907); bur. Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Robert Andrews, b. Jan. 1, 1833, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 2, 1911, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Jane __, abt. 1855 (b. Aug. 1, 1830; d. July 1, 1881); m. (2) Elizabeth "Bettie" BROWN, widow of Samuel WHEATLEY, Sept. 25, 1881, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 1840, d. 1900-1910); bur. Elk Creek Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Eliza Andrews, b. abt. 1835.
- John Andrews, b. Feb. 15, 1836, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 19, 1925, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Malinda "Lindy" PUGH, daughter of James PUGH & Nancy EVANS, May 31, 1857, Ashe Co., NC (b. Mar. 4, 1834; d. Dec. 28, 1916); bur. Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
Aug. 23, 1823. Salley CHEEK & Williams ANDREWS posted a marriage bond in Orange Co., NC, with bondsmen John TEDDER & Nathaniel ROBERSON.
1830 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.268: WM ANDREWS, JR.
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 20-29|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.25: WM ANDERS, JR.
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 30-39|
- 1850 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.240 (HH#38):
WM ANDERS, 46, farmer, $200, NC
- -- Sarah, 47, NC
- -- Robert, 17, NC
- -- Elisa, 15, f, NC
- -- John, 12, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp., p.355
WILLIAM ANDERS, 56, farmer, $800, $500, NC
- -- Sallie, 58, NC
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Prather's Creek
WILLIAM ANDERS, 65, farmer, NC
- -- Sally, 70, keeps house, NC
- -- Martha, 40, at home, NC <<maybe the daughter of William ANDREWS & Abi CHEEK
- -- Enoch, 12, at home, NC <<grandson, the son of Robert & Jane Andrews
Aug. 12, 1870. William ANDERS, son of Mark & Elizabeth ANDERS, m. Lydia Caudill HILL, daughter of Daniel & Winnie CAUDILL. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
Lydia Caudill Andrews was b. Mar. 4, 1834, and d. Jan. 12, 1903, according to Little River Regular Baptist Association Obituary Abstracts, 1894-1998, by Mountain Heritage
Dec. 13, 1852. Noah LONG & Charles TOLIVER, Exec'rs of James MAXWELL, dec'd, & Polly MAXWELL, to William ANDERS, 26 acres on Elk Creek beg. on top of the ridge & adj. the line of the tract where the said ANDERS now lives, for $59.80. Signed: Noah LONG Ex'r., Charles TOLIVER by Noah LONG, Polly (X) MAXWELL. Wits: Alfred BRACKINS, John ATWOOD. Proved Oct. 26, 1875, by Charles TOLIVER. Reg. Dec. 15, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:118.)
Sept. 5, 1855. William ANDERS to Wily P. MAXWELL, 15 acres on Elk Creek adj. Cloyd COX, Jacob HILL, John HILL, ANDERS, top of a ridge, with the ridge to the beginning near the creek on the east side, for $50. Signed: William ANDERS. Wit: Nathan T. ATWOOD. Proved by ackt. [no date]. (Alleghany DB 5:557.)
Sept. 28, 1855. David MAXWELL to William ANDERS, 100 acres on Elk Creek, for $175. Signed: David MAXWELL. Wit: W.P. MAXWELL. Proved by F.M. MITCHELL [date cut off]. (Alleghany DB 1:495.)
Sept. 10, 1863. Wilson ROYL [ROYAL] to William ANDREWS, 200 acres on Elk Creek on north side of Peach Bottom Mountain adj. CHESHER, for $800. Signed: Wilson ROYL. Wits: W. WARDIN, J.J. CAUDILL. Proved May 6, 1873, by Wm. WARDIN. (Alleghany DB 2:22.)
Feb. 10, 1874. William ANDREWS & wife Lydia to D.C. CAUDILL, 155 acres on the headwaters of Elk Creek on the north side of Peach Bottom Mountain, adj. the branch, WILLIAMS, & Cloyd COX, for $450. Signed: Wm. ANDREWS, Lydia (X) ANDREWS. Wits: S.J. IRWIN, M.F. JOINES. Proved Dec. 16, 1885, by S.J. IRWIN. (Alleghany DB 7:178.)