of Wilkes County, NC
Henderson Cheek was born abt. 1805 in North Carolina or possibly Virginia, and died after 1880 in Wilkes Co., NC. He married Julia Anne Bagby (Bagley), possibly the daughter of Edmund BAGBY & Anne MARTIN, Sept. 29, 1827, in Wilkes Co., NC. She was born abt. 1810 in North Carolina and died after 1880 in Wilkes Co., NC.
Children of Henderson Cheek & Julia Anne Bagby:
- Aaron Wesley Cheek, b. abt. 1831, Wilkes Co., NC; d. Feb. 1891, Wilkes Co., NC; m. (1) Sarah Lucinda BYRD, abt. 1851 (b. abt. 1830; d. 1880-1884); m. (2) Nancy Jane SPICER, Nov. 30, 1884, Wilkes Co., NC (b. abt. 1864; d. ?). Will recorded in Wilkes Co., NC, 1891 (WB 6, p.404). Children: Matilda Cheek (c.1852), Edwin Cheek (c.1854), Enoch Cheek (c.1855), Aaron Dewitt Cheek (c.1858), Martin Cheek (1860), Martha Cheek (c.1863), Grant Cheek (c.1868), Sherman Cheek (c.1868), Clingman Lafayette Cheek (1871), James Wesley Cheek (1886); Eva Cheek (1888), Aaron D. Cheek (1890).
- Julia Ann Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Wilkes Co., NC; d. ?; m. George W. OWENS, June 26, 1853.
- Sarah E. Cheek, b. abt. 1838, Wilkes Co., NC; d. ?; m. Joseph MACCRARY, Apr. 11, 1862, Wilkes Co., NC.
- Matilda Cheek, b. abt. 1840, Wilkes Co., NC; d. ?; m. John SHEPERD.
- Eli Martin Cheek, b. abt. 1844, Wilkes Co., NC; d. ?; m. Delphia SPICER. Eli was in prison from 1870 to 1872, for stealing 50 pounds of tobacco and 20 pounds of bacon. He was sentenced to 4 years hard labor at the state prison in Raleigh, but he was released early after citizens of Wilkes County submitted a petition to the governor. Children: Sarah A. Cheek (c.1869), W.H. Cheek (c.1874), George Martin Cheek (c.1876).
- Jincy Cheek, b. Jan. 1850, Wilkes Co., NC; m. __ COLLINS.
enderson Cheek first appears in the records of Wilkes County, NC, in 1827 when he married Juda (Julia) Ann BAGLEY (or BAGBY). She may have been the daughter of Edmund BAGBY and Anne MARTIN. Henderson's parents have never been identified. Based on DNA testing through the Cheek/Chick DNA Project, Henderson was not related (at least not in a direct male line) to the Cheek families in neighboring Surry, Yadkin, or Alleghany County, NC. So, at this time his origins remain a mystery. Henderson Cheek became a Baptist minister and had six known children. Note that the name "Henderson" was popular in western North Carolina in the late 1700's, possibly due to the fame of Col. Richard Henderson who financed Daniel Boone's 1779 expedition to Kentucky.
Sept. 29, 1827. Henderson CHEEK and Juda Anne BAGLEY posted a marriage bond in Wilkes Co., NC; Jonathan OSBURN, bondsman; R. MARTIN, witness.
1830 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, p.363: HENDERSON CHEEK
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/f 20-29|
1840 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Mastin's Dist.,
"Hunt's Store," p.17: HENDERSON CHEEK
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 30-39|
- 1850 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, p.335:
HENDERSON CHEEKS, 40, farmer, b. in Wilkes NC
- -- Julia, 40, Wilkes NC
-- Aron, 19, " "
-- Julia, 15, " "
-- Sarah, 12, " "
-- Matilda, 10, " "
-- Eli, 6, " "
-- Jiney, 8 mo.s, " "
- 1860 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Trap Hill P.O., p.62
HENDERSON CHEEK, 55, Baptist minister, $-, $100, NC
- -- Julia A., 51, NC
-- Sarah E., 20, NC
-- Eli M., 16, NC
-- Jency A., 10, NC
- 1870 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Rock Creek Twp., p.370
HENDERSON CHEEK, 64, Baptist minister, NC
- -- Julia, 61, NC
OWENS, Julia, 34, NC
-- Henderson V., 9, NC
-- Sarah A., 12, NC
-- Julia C., 5, NC
COLLINS, Jincy, 19, NC
CHEEK, Delphen, 30, NC <<Delphia SPICER wife of Eli Martin CHEEK
-- Sarah A., 1, NC
HOOTS, Sarah 7, NC
- 1880 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Edwards Twp., p.2:
HENDERSON CHEEK, 75, VA VA VA, farmer
- -- Julia A., wife, 71, NC NC NC
-- J.A., dau, 30, " " "
-- Susana, granddau, 15, NC -- NC
-- T.M., grandson, 10, " " "