Richard M. Cheek &
Frances "Franky" Crouse
Richard M. Cheek, son of Richard CHEEK & Jane "Jennie" ANDREWS, was born abt. 1817 in Orange Co., NC, and died Jan 26, 1902 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Frances "Franky" Crouse, daughter of Jacob CROUSE & Sarah EDWARDS. She was born 1826 in Ashe Co., NC, and died Dec. 8, 1893 in Alleghany Co., NC. Richard M. and Franky Cheek are buried at the Meredith Cheek Cemetery, off Road 1412 in the Vox community, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Richard M. Cheek & Franky Crouse:
- +Meredith Cheek, b. abt. May 10, 1843, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug 17, 1924, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Margaret Ann "Peggy" REEVES, daughter of Hardin REEVES & Frances TOLIVER, Mar. 3, 1875, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1847; d. 1917); bur. Meredith Cheek Cemetery, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC. No children.
- +Lucinda Cheek, b. Jan. 17, 1844, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 4, 1934, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Samuel MCKNIGHT, son of Nicholas MCKNIGHT & Mary "Polly" BLEVINS, abt. 1868 (b. Aug. 14, 1846, Grayson Co., VA; d. Dec. 27, 1923); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. No children.
- +Sarah Jane Cheek, b. Feb. 15, 1849, Ashe Co., NC; d. July 1888, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Johnson JENNINGS, son of William JENNINGS, Jr., & Cynthia CAUDILL, Sept. 25, 1870, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Oct. 1848, Wilkes Co., NC; d. aft. 1920) (divorced before 1876); m. (2) Creed EVANS, son of David EVANS & Margaret WHITAKER, Nov. 2, 1878, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 26, 1853; d. Mar. 24, 1937); bur. Meredith Cheek Cemetery, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Caroline Elizabeth Cheek, b. June 6, 1849, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 24, 1927, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Daniel HIGGINS, son of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS, abt 1870 (b. Mar. 18, 1851; d. Aug. 12, 1877); m. (2) Jacob TOLIVER, son of Starling TOLIVER & Millie Ann SPURLIN, Apr. 4, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 18, 1831; d. July 22, 1887); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Wadie Cheek, b. Apr. 21, 1851, Ashe Co., NC; d. May 2, 1930, Alleghany Co., NC; m. James C. MCGRADY, son of Andrew MCGRADY & Phebe JENNINGS, Mar. 21, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 22, 1850, Wilkes Co., NC; d. Oct. 27, 1927); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Candis (Candice) Cheek, b. Feb. 5, 1857, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 7, 1923, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John T. CHOATE, son of Joshua Sabret CHOATE & Martha FENDER, Nov. 10, 1878, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 13, 1858, Grayson Co., VA; d. Oct. 19, 1945); bur. Meredith Cheek Cemetery, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Pinkey Cheek, b. Apr. 25, 1860, Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC; d. Oct. 25, 1948, Surry Co., NC; m. Samuel GALYEAN, son of Jonathan GALYEAN & Catherine ALLEN, Oct. 2, 1884, in Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 4, 1860, Surry Co., NC; d. 1943); bur. Mountain View Baptist Church, Low Gap, Surry Co., NC.
- +Calvin Marion Cheek, b. Nov. 1863, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Dec. 11, 1839, Harford Co., MD; m. Mary Ennice JOHNSON, daughter of Aaron A. JOHNSON & Sarah JOINES of Grayson Co., VA, Feb. 13, 1891, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Oct. or Nov. 28, 1873; d. May 25, 1959); bur. Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church, Emmorton, Harford Co., MD.
- +Frances "Fanny" Cheek, b. Aug. 7, 1867, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Feb. 21, 1956, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John Riley ANDREWS, son of Alfred ANDREWS & Phebe BLEVINS, Aug. 16, 1888, in Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 12, 1860, Grayson Co., VA; d. Feb. 12, 1940); bur. Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
The Little River,
Alleghany County, NC
ichard M. Cheek was born about 1817. He and Frances "Franky" Crouse probably married around 1842, based on the ages of their children. They lived in the Vox community in the northeastern corner of Alleghany County, adjoining the Virginia state line, and are buried at the Meredith Cheek Cemetery, located at the top of a hill off Road 1413 in Alleghany County.
Richard M. Cheek's will, dated Jan. 30, 1889, names his wife Franky, eldest son Merideth Cheek, youngest son Calvin Cheek, and daughters Lucy, Sarah, Jane, Caroline, Pinkey, Candas, Frances, and Wadey. Merideth Cheek received "the tract of land where he now lives and which I have formerly deeded to him" along with one-half interest in the smith tools, which were to remain and the shop and in Calvin Cheek's possession. Calvin received all the rest of Richard's land (about 75 acres) subject to Franky's life estate in the dwelling house, outbuildings and improvements.
The estate was probated in Alleghany Co., NC, in 1902. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.4.) The documents in the file identify Richard's heirs as C.M. CHEEK, Pinky GALYEN, Caroline TOLIVER, Lucy MCKNIGHT, Wady MCGRADY, Candis CHOAT, Meredith CHEEK, Jr., Francis ANDERS, and the five heirs of Sarah Jane EVANS, deceased (F.P. JENNINGS, Eddie TAYLOR, Rufus M. EVANS, Coy EVANS, and Susie EVANS). On Feb. 9, 1902, J.M. HIGGINS opened the probate by filing an application for "Letters of Administration with Will Annexed" (which indicates the will failed to name any executors). The final value of the estate was $403.53 which included $175 for sale of land to M.D. HIGGINS and $155.87 for sale of personal property.
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC: RICHARD CHEAK
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f 20-29|
|2 w/m 15-19||2 w/f 40-49|
|1 w/m 50-59||no slaves|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co. NC., p.243 (HH#88):
RICHD CHEAK, 33, farmer, $250, b. in NC
- -- Franky, 21, NC
-- Meredith, 7, NC
-- Lucy, 6, NC
-- Sarah, 4, NC
-- Elizabeth, 1, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
RICH'D CHEEK, 38, farmer, $600, $550, NC
- -- Franky, 30, NC
-- Mandy, 17, NC
-- Lucy 15, NC
-- Sarah J., 12, NC
-- Caroline, 11, NC
-- Wady, 9, NC
-- Candis, 7, NC
-- Pinkey, 5, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: RICHARD CHEEK, 40 acres improved land, 79 acres unimproved land, cash value of farm $600, value of farm implements $100, 2 horses, 0 asses/mules, 3 milch cows, 1 working ox, 2 other cattle, 10 sheep, 30 swine, value of livestock $320. (Source: New River Notes)
Dec. 27, 1864. Richard Cheek is named in his father Richard Cheek's will (Alleghany WB 1, p.19).
July 24, 1866. Richard CHEEK's sister Pinkey and her husband John J. BLEVINS entered a separation agreement by which John J. BLEVINS conveyed certain property to Richard CHEEK as trustee for Pinkey. (Alleghany DB 1:205.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co. NC, Glade Creek Twp.
RICHARD CHEEK, 54, NC
- -- Franky, 44, NC
-- Meredith, 26, NC
-- Sarah, 21, NC
-- Wada, 18, NC
-- Candace, 12, NC
-- Pinkey, 9, NC
-- Calvin, 7, NC
-- Frances, 4, NC
-- Jane, 70, NC << probably Richard's mother Jennie
ANDERS, Wade, age 18, domestic servant, NC
Mar. 27, 1878. Richard CHEEK posted a $200 bastardy bond for Arch. EDWARDS who has begotten a child upon Mary HIX. Signed: A. EDWARDS, Richard CHEEK. Test.: J. J. GAMBILL. (Alleghany Bastardy Bonds, p.17.)
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp
RICHARD M. CHEEK, 60, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Frances, 53, wife, NC NC NC
-- Calvin, 14, son, NC NC NC
-- Frances, 11, NC NC NC
JOHNSON, Calvin, 10, farm laborer, NC NC NC
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
RICHARD M. CHEEK, Apr. 1818, age 82, widowed, NC NC NC
- -- Calvin, son, Nov. 1863, age 36, m. 10 yrs, NC NC NC
-- Lessie J., granddau, Nov. 1894, age 5, NC NC VA
-- Lonnie M., grandson, Feb. 1897, age 3, NC NC VA
-- Dewey A., grandson, Jan 1899, age 1, NC NC VA
-- Mary E., dau-in-law, Oct. 1873, age 26, m. 10 yrs, 4 children born, 3 living, VA NC NC
OF R.M. CHEEK
BORN 1814 DIED
JAN 26 1902
|IN MEMORY OF
DIED DEC 8 1893
Nov. 14, 1860. State of NC to Richard CHEEK, Jr., 23 acres adj. Richard CHEEK, Sr., CHEEK's Spring Branch, Chesley CHEEK, Little River, & Virginia line. Entered Oct. 2, 1860. (Alleghany Land Grant No. 7; Alleghany DB 1:85.)
Sept. 13, 1862. Richard CHEEK, Sr., to Richard M. CHEEK, 34 acres on Crab Creek of Little River adj. Chesley CHEEK & the bank of a branch, for $75. Signed: Richard (X) CHEEK. Wits: A. RICHARDSON, E.C. RICHARDSON. Proved July ?, 1869, by E.C. RICHARDSON. (Alleghany DB 1:265.)
Sept. 5, 1872. Wm. EDWARDS to Richard CHEEK, Jr., 1 yellow mare, as security for Richard CHEEK becoming my surety for $101 due by note to CAUDILL dated Aug. 28, 1872. Signed: Wm. EDWARDS. Wit: Wm. H. JOINES. Proved Feb. 21, 1873, by Wm. H. JOINES. (Alleghany DB 1:524.)
Sept. 18, 1880. Thomas C. HIGGINS to Richard M. CHEEK, 12 acres on Brushy Fork of Little River adj. John F. HOLBROOK & a branch, for $150. Signed: Thomas C. HIGGINS, Margarit HIGGINS. Wits: Thomas MCGRADY, William W. ANDREWS. Proved May 13, 1881 (ack'd). Reg. Sept. 6, 1886. (Alleghany DB 7:331.)
Feb. 10, 1894. R.M. CHEEK to Meredith CHEEK, Jr., 7 ½ acres adj. R.M. CHEEK, Meredith CHEEK, Jr., a road, & a branch, for $5. Signed: R.M. CHEEK. Wits: M.F. JOHNSON, J.C. MCGRADY. Proved Mar. 3, 1898. Reg. May 21, 1898. (Alleghany DB 12:134.)
Apr. 4, 1898. Richard CHEEK, Sr., to Meredith CHEEK, Jr., 53 acres beg. on west bank of Little River, adj. Meredith CHEEK & Meredith CHEEK, Sr., for $160. Signed: R.M. CHEEK. Wits: C.M. CHEEK, J.T. CHOAT. Proved Apr. 27, 1898. Reg. May 6, 1898. (Alleghany DB 12:130.)