Sarah Jane Cheek &
(1) Johnson Jennings
(2) Creed Evans
Sarah Jane Cheek, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances "Frankie" CROUSE was born Feb. 15, 1849, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 1888 in Alleghany Co., NC. She married (1) Johnson Jennings, son of William JENNINGS, Jr., & Cynthia CAUDILL, Sept. 25, 1870, in Alleghany Co., NC. He was born Oct. 1848 in Wilkes or Ashe Co., NC, and died after 1920, probably in Elk Town, Avery Co., NC. They divorced before 1876. She married (2) Creed Evans, son of David EVANS & Margaret WHITAKER, Nov. 2, 1878, in Alleghany Co., NC. He was born Jan. 26, 1853, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Mar. 24, 1937, probably in Grayson Co., VA. Sarah Jane Evans is buried at the Meredith Cheek Cemetery in Alleghany Co., NC. Creed EVANS is buried at the Roaring Gap Baptist Church in Wilkes Co., NC.
Children of Sarah Jane Cheek & John Jennings:
- Franklin P. Jennings, b. abt. 1872, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Lucy Edith "Edie" Jennings, b. Dec. 1873, Alleghany Co., NC, d. ?; m. Wiley A. TAYLOR, son of John C. & Elizabeth TAYLOR, Aug. 4, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 1869; d. ?).
Children of Sarah Jane Cheek & Creed Evans:
- Rufus M. Evans, b. Dec. 1879, Alleghany Co., NC; d. aft. 1930; m. Dora J., abt. 1904 (b. abt. 1878; d. aft. 1930). Living in Kimball, McDowell Co., WV, in 1920. Living in Henry Co., VA, in 1930.
- Luther Coy Evans, b. Sept. 8, 1881, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Apr. 29, 1964, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Marzilla "Zillie" HIGGINS, daughter of David C. HIGGINS & Julia FORTNER, July 3, 1916 (b. Mar. 16, 1896; d. Oct. 14, 1975); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Susan Faye Evans, b. Oct. 3, 1884, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Jan. 26, 1980, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Mack Wayne EDWARDS, son of Fleming C. EDWARDS & Nancy SPURLIN; bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
arah Jane Cheek was the second-oldest daughter of Richard M. Cheek & Franky Crouse. She married twice according to G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996). Her first marriage apparently ended in divorce before 1876, when her first husband (Johnson Jennings) married Sarah Fowlkes.
- Apr. 27, 1870. Sarah Jane CHEEK, age 24, daughter of Richard M. & Frances (Franky) CHEEK of Alleghany Co., NC, m. Johnson JENNINGS, age 21, of Grayson Co., VA, son of William and Cynthia JENNINGS.
- Nov. 2, 1878. Sarah Jane CHEEK, age 24 [sic], daughter of R.M. & Sally [sic] CHEEK, m. Creed EVANS, age 24, son of David EVANS & Margaret WHITAKER.
Documents filed in connection with the probate of Richard M. CHEEK's estate in 1902 reveal that Sarah EVANS was deceased prior to 1902 and that she had five heirs: F.P. JENNINGS, Eddie TAYLOR, Rufus M. EVANS, Coy EVANS, and Susie EVANS. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.4.) F.P. JENNINGS is probably Franklin JENNINGS who is listed in the 1880 census with his grandmother Cynthia JENNINGS (mother of Johnson JENNINGS) in Grayson Co., VA.
For additional information, see notes under Creed Evans