& Caroline Edwards
Reeves Crouse, son of John A. CROUSE & Jane COX, was born abt. 1834 and died July 11, 1864, in Richmond, VA (Civil War). He married Caroline Edwards, daughter of Berry EDWARDS, Sr. & Ruth DAVIS, Nov. 27, 1853, in Ashe Co., NC. She was born Mar. 10, 1834, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 6, 1893, in Alleghany Co., NC. Caroline married (2nd) Meredith T. NORMAN, Nov. 22, 1866, in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Reeves Crouse & Caroline Edwards:
- +Sarah J. Crouse, b. abt. 1855, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1882-1887, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Houston BLEVINS, son of John J. BLEVINS & Pinkey CHEEK, Dec. 26, 1872, in Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 30, 1855; d. Oct. 24, 1930); bur. Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Cynthia E. Crouse, b. May 16, 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 24, 1946; m. David Reid COX, son of George Reeves COX, Sr., & Margaret TOLIVER, Jan. 9, 1881, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 6, 1856; d. Nov. 12, 1934); bur. Zion Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Lula M. Cox (1884), Willie W. Cox (1887), Robert Gwyn Cox (1895) m. Zollie Mae EDWARDS, Dewey Reid Cox (1898).
- Rosa E. Crouse, b. Feb. 1861, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Nov. 7, 1937; m. Melvin B. COX, son of George Reeves COX, Sr., & Margaret TOLIVER, Dec. 12, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 16, 1861; d. June 26, 1952); bur. Zion Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Ada Florence Cox (1883), Myrtie B. Cox (1885), Reeves Custer Lee Cox (1888) m. Phebe Luetta NICHOLS, Stella Jane Cox (1890), Arthur A. Cox (1895), Dosie M. Cox (c.1901).
- +Hiram Reeves Crouse, b. Nov. 10, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Dec. 27, 1936; m. Phebe CHEEK, daughter of Meredith CHEEK & Sarah ANDREWS, Jan. 1, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 15, 1863; d. Sept. 9, 1950); bur. Nichols Cemetery, Road 1121, Alleghany Co., NC.
Nov. 27, 1853, Ashe Co., NC: R. KROWS & Caroline EDWARDS posted a marriage bond.
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.414/p.207 (HH#499):
REEVES KROWSE, 26, farmer, $1,000, $920, NC
- -- Caroline, 25, NC
- -- Sarah Jane, 4, NC
- -- Cynthia E., 2, NC
- EDWARDS, Berry, 61, NC
- SPURLIN, Polly, 20, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: REEVES KRAUS, 48 acres improved land, 170 acres unimproved land, value of farm $1,000, value of farm implements $60, 3 horses, 0 asses/mules, 3 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 5 other cattle, 3 sheep, 20 swine, value of livestock $45. (Source: New River Notes)
Apr. 28, 1861. B. EDWARDS, Sr., to Reeves & Caroline KROWSE [CROUSE], 200 acres on Little River & Brush Creek adj. the line of a 100 acre tract formerly owned by David EDWARDS, Sr., bank of Little River, crossing Brush Creek, for $1. After the death of Caroline KROWSE the land shall belong to her living children. Signed: B. EDWARDS. Wit: David EDWARDS. Proved Aug. 14, 1869 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:464.)
Civil War: Reeves CROUSE enlisted as a Private on May 3, 1862, in Co. I, 61st NC Infantry. Hospitalized Dec. 17, 1862 (sick). Promoted to Full Sergeant on Jan. 1, 1863. Returned on Mar. 1, 1863. Sick on June 15, 1863. Hospitalized on July 15, 1863, at Mount Pleasant, SC (sick). Reduced to Full Private on Oct. 22, 1863. Furloughed on Oct. 23, 1863, at Mount Pleasant, SC, Hospital (for 30 days). Absent on furlough Apr. 30, 1864. Died of disease July 11, 1864, Richmond, VA. (Source: "American Civil War Soldiers," Ancestry.com.)
July 17, 1862. Will of Reeves CROWS dated July 17, 1862, was proved Jan. term 1865 in Alleghany Co., NC. Names wife Caroline and unidentified children. "When the children come of age then my will is that my wife Caroline CROWS have the privilege of dividing such things with them as she may think fit so as to divide as equal as possible with them." He also leaves one cow and bed furniture to Mary SPURLIN. Wits: D. HOLBROOK, John HIGGINS. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.6.)