& Susan Edwards
John Higgins, was born Dec. 25, 1807, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Oct. 17, 1877, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Susan Edwards, daughter of Young EDWARDS, Jr. & Catherine COX, abt. 1827. She was born Mar. 12, 1812, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Oct. 11, 1899, in Alleghany Co., NC. John and Susan are buried at the John Higgins Cemetery, located off Road 1453, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of John Higgins & Susan Edwards:
- +Delilah Jane Higgins, b. Oct. 14, 1828, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 11, 1916, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) John E. EDWARDS, son of Richard "Dickie" EDWARDS & Edith BARTON (BURTON), abt. 1847 (b. Apr. 24, 1824; d. Dec. 1, 1865); m. (2) Thomas EDWARDS, son of Berry EDWARDS, Sr., & Ruth DAVIS, Nov. 25, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 16, 1820; d. Jan. 11, 1897); bur. Mountain View Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Calvin Higgins, b. Oct. 3, 1830, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 31, 1864, in military service (according to gravestone); m. Julia __; bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC. According to military records, Calvin Higgins, age 31, enlisted on May 3, 1862, in Alleghany Co., NC, in Co. I, 61st NC Inf. Reg't, as a musician; died of disease on Feb. 21, 1864. Children: Rosamond Higgins (c.1854), Hastin Higgins (c.1857), Isaac Higgins (c.1858).
- +Beulah "Buley" Higgins, b. Oct. 9, 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 26, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Thomas BAUGUS, son of James & Mary BAUGUS, Aug. 7, 1851, Ashe Co., NC (b. June 19, 1827; d. Mar. 4, 1914); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Mary Jane Higgins, b. May 15, 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1864, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Joshua COX, Oct. 27, 1850, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1834; d. Oct. 19, 1864, in Richmond, VA); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Susan A. Cox (1853) m. Isom C. REYNOLDS; Nancy Caroline Cox (1855), John Cox (c.1856), Mary Emeline Cox (1861),
- Linville Higgins, b. Sept. 14, 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. bef. 1850.
- Granville Higgins, b. Nov. 19, 1840, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 6, 1864.
- Frances Higgins, b. Mar. 12, 1842, Ashe Co., NC.
- Martha Emeline Higgins, b. Sept. 30, 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 1, 1914, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Henry McDaniel CROUSE, son of John CROUSE & Christina WAGONER, June 15, 1862, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 2, 1844; d. Sept. 12, 1924); bur. Henry McDaniel Crouse Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Sarah A. Crouse (c.1866), Matilda Jane Crouse (1869), Ellen Crouse (c.1871), Garfield Crouse (c.1873), Jesse? Crouse (1880), John Crouse (c.1887).
- Sarah Catherine Higgins, b. July 8, 1848, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 11, 1925, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Martin ANDREWS, son of James Carr ANDREWS & Elizabeth CROUSE, abt. 1868 (b. Mar. 22, 1848; d. Jan. 11, 1927); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Laura Alice Andrews (1869), Emmett C. Andrews (1871), John R. Andrews (1874), James Mack Andrews (1877), Mary Caroline Andrews (1880), Reeves Preston Andrews (1886), Etta (Effie) Andrews (1892).
- +Daniel Higgins, b. Mar. 18, 1851, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 12, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Caroline CHEEK, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances CROUSE, abt. 1870 (b. June 6, 1849; d. Dec. 24, 1927); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Thomas C. Higgins, b. June 5, 1857, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 18, 1915, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Margaret Ann EVANS, daughter of David EVANS & Margaret WHITAKER, Nov. 18, 1875, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 4, 1855; d. Oct. 21, 1900); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1453, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Rosa E. Higgins (c.1877), David O. Higgins (1880), Susan A. Higgins (1882), William Clark Higgins (1884) m. Maude RICHARDSON; John A. Higgins (1888), James P. Higgins (1892).
ohn Higgins lived in Glade Creek Township of Alleghany County, NC, where he owned land on Brush Creek near the town of Blevins Crossroads. John is believed to be a brother of Linville Higgins (1796-1881) and Thomas Higgins (1803-1877) who are also found in Ashe (Alleghany) County, NC, during this time period. Their parents were probably John HIGGINS & Fannie BAUGUESS (BAUGUS) of Wilkes County, NC. For more on the Higgins family, see Angela Mickey's website. See also Alleghany County Heritage (1983), p.254 (article on Linville Higgins).
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC: JNO HIGGONS
|2 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f 16-25|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.31: JOHN HAGANS
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/f 15-19|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.245 (HH#114):
JOHN HIGGINS, age 50, farmer, $450, NC
- -- Susan, 38, NC
- -- Calvin, 19, NC
- -- Buley, 17, m, NC
- -- Mary, 15, NC
- -- Granville, 9, NC
- -- Francis, 7, NC
- -- Martha, 5, NC
- -- Catherine, 2, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
JOHN HIGGINS, 60, farmer, $1,000, $850, NC
- -- Susan, 48, NC
- -- Granville, 19, NC
- -- Martha, 15, NC
- -- Katherine, 13, NC
- -- Daniel, 11, NC
- -- Thomas, 4, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: JOHN HIGGINS, 150 acres improved land, 188 acres unimproved land, value of farm $100, value of farm implements $100, 4 horses, 0 asses/mules, 4 milch cows, 2 working oxen, 8 other cattle, 20 sheep, 30 swine, value of livestock $1,050. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp (HH#105):
JOHN HIGGINS, age 69
- -- Susannah, 58
- -- Daniel, 19
- -- Thomas, 12
- -- Susannah, 16*
- -- Emeline, 9*
*Susannah & Emeline were probably granddaugters, d/o Mary Jane Higgins & Joshua Cox.
1877. John HIGGINS' estate was probated in Alleghany Co., NC. (NC Archives, Box No. CR.004.508.13.)
Jan. 6, 1845. State of NC to John HIGGINS, 38 acres in Ashe County on Brushy Fork of Little River. Entered May 30, 1838. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 3290, Folder No. 188.8.131.5202, Grant No. 4091, Book 150:154.)
Dec. 26, 1846. State of NC to John HIGGINS, 50 acres in Ashe County on Brushy Fork of Little River adj. his own corner. Entered Apr. 8, 1844. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 3506, Folder No. 184.108.40.20619, Grant No. 4321, Book 151:454.)
Dec. 9, 1858. State of NC to John HIGGINS, 50 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. his own corner. Entered May 28, 1856. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 4865, Folder No. 220.127.116.1132, Grant No. 3515, Book 162:490.)
Aug. 28, 1873. John HIGGINS & wife Susannah of Alleghany Co., NC, to John O. ROPER & Robert CROCKETT, Jr., of Wythe Co., VA, 50 acres on Little River adj. said John HIGGINS & land formerly owned by Joshua COX, dec'd, for $200. Being the same land granted to said John HIGGINS by the State of NC on Dec. 9, 1858. Signed: John HIGGINS, Susannah (X) HIGGINS. Wits: E.L. VAUGHAN, R.P. STAMPER. Proved Sept. 2, 1873 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:47.)
Jan. [?], 1876. John HIGGINS & wife Susan to Daniel HIGGINS, 90 acres on Brush Creek beg. on the side of the road that leads from David HOLBROOK to Starlin TOLIVER, adj. EDWARDS, a small branch, CHOAT's old line, & crossing Brush Creek, for $175. Signed: John HIGGINS, Susan (X) HIGGINS. Wits: Burris ANDREWS, S.F. JOINES, Martin ANDERS. Proved Mar. 18, 1886, by Susan HIGGINS. Filed Mar. 16, 1886. (Alleghany DB 6:476.)
Oct. 7, 1877. John HIGGINS & wife Susan to Martin ANDERS & wife Catherine, 28 acres on Brush Creek adj. Starling TOLIVER, for $60. Signed: John HIGGINS, Susan HIGGINS. Wits: C.H. COLLINS, J.W. BLEVINS. Proved Sept. 13, 1897, by J.W. BLEVINS. Reg. Sept. 20, 1897. (Alleghany DB 11:344.)
1882. [Month & date blank.] J.R. WYATT, Comm'r, to Martin ANDERS, 42 acres on Brush Creek which John HIGGINS died seized & possessed of, adj. Thos. C. HIGGINS, Martin ANDERS' home tract, & John WILSON. Sale ordered by the probate court upon a petition filed Jan. 3, 1878, by H.M. CROUSE & others against Martin ANDERS at others, heirs of John HIGGINS, dec'd. Signed: J.R. WYATT. Wits: F.M. MITCHELL, G. Mc. REEVES. Reg. Sept. 20, 1897. (Alleghany DB 11:342.)