Franklin J. Hoppers &
Franklin J. Hoppers, son of William HOPPERS & Catherine, last name unknown, was born Jan. 16, 1833, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 15, 1918, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Elizabeth Crouse, daughter of Benjamin CROUSE & Wady CHEEK, abt. 1852. She was born Mar. 26, 1832, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 3, 1912, Alleghany Co., NC. Franklin is buried at the John Hoppers Cemetery, Road 1135, Alleghany Co., NC. Elizabeth is buried at the Henderson Crouse Cemetery, Road 1131, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Franklin J. Hoppers & Elizabeth Crouse:
- William Lyndolph Hoppers, b. May 3, 1853, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 15, 1935, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Elizabeth EDWARDS, daughter of Starling EDWARDS & Amy WILES, Jan. 4, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC (b. July 3, 1851; d. June 14, 1919); bur. Liberty Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: John Lemison Hoppers (1876) m. Rosa Emeline RICHARDSON, William F. "Willie" Hoppers (1889) m. Nancy Mae EDWARDS.
- Sarah Elzina Hoppers, b. June 16, 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 17, 1937; m. Nathan L. BROOKS, son of Young BROOKS & Elizabeth MURDOCH of Traphill, Wilkes Co., NC, Sept. 22, 1878, Wilkes Co., NC (b. Oct. 29, 1856; d. Oct. 26, 1934); bur. Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Ashe Co., NC. Children: Wady Elizabeth Brooks (1880), Edie B. Brooks (1884), Sadie E. Brooks (1887), Chester A. Brooks (1892), Johnsie E. Brooks (f.) (1898).
- Rev. Benjamin Floyd Hoppers, b. Nov. 6, 1861, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 5, 1930, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Nancy MCGRADY, daughter of Henderson MCGRADY & Sarah HOLBROOK, Dec. 29, 1883 (b. June 19, 1865; d. Feb. 10, 1961). Benjamin is buried at the Henderson Crouse Cemetery, Rd. 1131, Alleghany Co., NC; Nancy is buried at the Glade Valley Pres. Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Everett F. Hoppers (1886), Ernest W. Hoppers (1888), Lade Belle Hoppers (1899).
- Wady Elizabeth Hoppers, b. Apr. 4, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Jan. 4, 1950, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John Wesley ROUPE, son of John W. & Sarah ROUPE, Apr. 15, 1888, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 28, 1862; d. May 14, 1957); bur. Liberty Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Laura May Roupe (1891).
- Pinky Catherine Hoppers, b. July 21, 1867, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Mar. 31, 1942, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William CROUSE, son of Martin CROUSE & Ann WHITEHEAD, Apr. 10, 1886, Alleghany Co., NC (b. July 10, 1853; d. Jan. 31, 1941); bur. Martin Crouse Cemetery, Rd. 1123, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Treely M. Crouse (1894), Flora A. Crouse (1898), William Coy Crouse (1907).
- Laura Hoppers, b. June 17, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC; d. June 24, 1950, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Linville V. RICHARDSON, son of Meredith RICHARDSON & Narcissa JOINES, Dec. 28, 1893, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Sept. 23, 1868; d. Apr. 17, 1953); bur. Landmark Union Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Robert Glen Richardson (1895), William Frank Richardson (1897), Geneva Richardson (1900).
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil P.O.,
FRANKLIN HOPPERS, 26, farmer, $1,000, $350, NC
- -- Elisabeth, 27, NC
- -- Wm. L., 7, NC
- -- Sarah E., 2, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: FRANKLIN HOPERS, 40 acres improved land, 280 acres unimproved land, value of farm $1,000, value of farm implements $15, 1 horses, 0 asses/mules, 2 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 5 other cattle, 26 sheep, 27 swine, value of livestock $250. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp. (HH#6):
FRANKLIN HOPPERS, 36, farmer, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 38, NC
- -- William, 17, NC
- -- Sarah, 12, NC
- -- Floyd, 8, NC
- -- Wada, 5, NC
- -- Catherine, 3, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co.,NC, Gap Civil Twp., p.268:
FRANKLIN J. HOPPASS, 47, farmer, NC NC TN
- -- Elizabeth, wife, 48, NC NC NC
- -- Bengimin F., son, 18, " " "
- -- Wady E., dau, 15, " " "
- -- Pinky C., dau, 13, " " "
- -- Laura C., dau, 9, " " "
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp., p.198
[Illegible] HOPPERS, b. Dec. 1832, age 67, m. 31 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Elizabeth, wife, March 1836, age 64, m. 31 yrs, 2 children/2 living, NC NC NC
- -- Amanda, niece, Apr. 1882, age 18, NC NC NC
Feb. 13, 1857. James H. PARKS to Franklin HOPPERS, 100 acres on Little River, beg. on the Bald Knob on A.F. BLEVINS corner, adj. HOPPERS' own line, for $200. Signed: James H. PARKS (ack'd). Wits: Isom WAGONER, A. GENTRY. (Alleghany DB 1:171.)
Feb. 6, 1858. Andrew F. BLEVINS to Franklin HOPPERS, 3 acres on Waterfall Creek of Little River adj. said Franklin HOPPERS land, his old line, & the road, for $6. Signed: Andrew F. BLEVINS. Wits: J. KROWS, Isom WAGONER. (Alleghany DB 1:169.)
Jan. 27, 1859. State of NC to Franklin HOPPAS, 60 acres in Ashe County on headwaters of Little River adj. his own corner, John CROUSE, CAUDILL, & GOIN. Entered Feb. 23, 1857. (Land Grant No. 3529.) (Alleghany DB 1:167.)
Mar. 3, 1859? Ezekiel JOINS to Franklin HOPPERAS, 108 acres on Little River for $100. Signed: Ezekiel JOINES. Wits: C.H. DOUGHTON, Jesse WHITAKER. Proved July term 1864 by C.H. DOUGHTON. Reg. Dec. 18, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:103.)
May 3, 1875. F.J. HOPPERAS & wife Elizabeth to their son W.L. HOPPERS, a tract of land [no acreage stated] adj. the road leading to Henderson CROUSE, the road leading to the [illegible], A.J. WAGGONER, & the creek, for love & affection & as an advancement to their son of $350. Signed: F.J. HOPPERAS, Elizabeth HOPPERAS. [No wits.] Proved Jan. 11, 1876 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 3:141.)
Apr. 22, 1898. F.J. HOPPERS Exec'r of William HOPPERS, dec'd, to Nancy WAGGONER, quitclaim deed to all of the land in a deed made to Nancy WAGGONER by her father John HOPPERS. To correct a mistake in a certain deed made by Nancy WAGONER to Wiliam HOPPERS covering some of the undivided land of John HOPPERS, their father, on headwaters of Little River. (Alleghany DB 13:73.)