James Calvin McGrady
& Wadie Cheek
James Calvin McGrady, son of Andrew MCGRADY & Phebe JENNINGS, was born June 22, 1850, in Wilkes Co., NC, and died Oct. 27, 1927, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Wadie Cheek, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances "Frankie" CROUSE, Mar. 21, 1871. She was born Apr. 21, 1851, in Ashe Co., NC, and died May 2, 1930, Alleghany Co., NC. James and Wadie McGrady are buried at the Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of James C. McGrady & Wadie Cheek:
- Amanda McGrady, b. abt. 1872, Alleghany Co., NC; d. bef. 1900, Wilkes Co., NC; m. John Henry WAGONER, son of Owen WAGONER & Mary STURGILL, Nov. 16, 1891, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1869; d. Apr. 7, 1944).
- Meredith C. McGrady, b. Mar. 8, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Mar. 27, 1957, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Frances RECTOR, daughter of James Columbus RECTOR & Edith Jane WILSON, Dec. 4, 1898, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Dec. 17, 1879; d. Jan. 14, 1949); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Myrtle A. "Myrtie" McGrady, b. Feb. 29, 1879, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 12, 1940; m. Mack Tyre JOHNSON, son of Rirden Keys JOHNSON & Amanda Catherine EDWARDS, Aug. 18, 1901, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 2, 1882; d. July 2, 1942); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
ames Calvin McGrady was the son of Andrew MCGRADY and Phebe JENNINGS of Wilkes County, North Carolina. He married Wadie CHEEK on March 21, 1871, in Alleghany County, NC. James C. McGrady had a relative (possibly an uncle?) named Calvin McGrady (b. abt. 1828) who moved to Alleghany County from Wilkes County in 1866 and settled on Moccasin Creek. (See Alleghany DB 1, p.202, Jan. 19, 1866, deed from A.A. JOHNSON to Calvin MCGRADY of Wilkes Co., NC, 200 acres on Little River at mouth of Moccasin Creek.) Calvin McGrady was a close neighbor of the Cheek family on Moccasin Creek, which may be how James C. McGrady met Wadie Cheek.
Mar. 21, 1871. James MCGRADY, son of Andrew & Phebe MCGRADY, m. Wady CHEEK, daughter of Richard M. & Franky CHEEK. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996.)
1880 Census: not listed.
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
JAMES C. MCGRADY, June 1850, age 49, m. 29 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Wada, wife, Apr. 1852, age 48, m. 29 yrs, 4 children/2 living, NC NC NC
- -- Myrtie A., dau, Feb. 1879, age 21, NC NC NC
- 1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.4
- JAMES C. MCGRADY, 58, m. 40 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Wadie, wife, 71[?], m. 40 yrs, 4 children/2 living, NC NC NC
- 1920 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.11
MEREDITH C. MCGRADY, 42, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Francis, wife, 43, NC VA VA
- -- Andy, son, 17, NC NC NC
- -- Della, dau, 15, " " "
- -- Cora, dau, 13, " " "
- -- Mirtie, dau, 11, " " "
- -- Hattie, dau, 9, " " "
- -- Robert, son, 7, " " "
- -- Emma L., dau, 3 yrs 2 mos., " " "
- -- Zelma, dau, 2 mos., " " "
- -- James C., father, 69, " " "
- -- Wady, mother, 68, " " "
Death Certificate: JAMES CALVIN MCGRADY, near age 79, b. Wilkes Co., NC; d. 24 Oct. 1927, Glade Creek Twp., Alleghany Co., NC; spouse: Wadie CHEEK; father: Andrew MCGRADY; mother: Phoebe JENNINGS; bur. Glade Creek Cemetery. (Ancestry.com) [Note discrepancy with gravestone re date of death.]
Death Certificate: WADIE MCGRADY, age & date of birth [blank]; d. 2 May 1930, Glade Creek Twp., Alleghany Co., NC; widow; spouse: Thomas [sic] MCGRADY; father: Richard CHEEK; mother: Francis CROUSE; burial: Glade Creek Cemetery. (Ancestry.com)
Feb. 26, 1876. Henderson CROUSE & wife Mary Ann to J.C. MCGRADY, 82 ¼ acres on Little River adj. Calloway JOINES, F.J. HOPPERS, James F. CAUDILL, for $190. Signed: Henderson CROUSE, Mary Ann CROUSE. Wit: L.L. CHAPEL. Proved Sept. 4, 1876 (ack'd). Reg. May 16, 1927. (Alleghany DB 35:309.)
Jan. 27, 1883. Sarah F. EDWARDS to J.C. MCGRADY, 48 acres on Brush Creek adj. Delila EDWARDS & David HOLBROOK, for $100. Signed: Sarah F. EDWARDS. Wit: E.L. VAUGHAN. Proved Jan. 27, 1883 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 7:333.)
Sept. 24, 1883. Jas. C. MCGRADY & wife Wady to John TEDDER, a tract of land [no acreage stated] on south prong of Little River adj. W.L. HOPPERS, Levi J. JOINES, Solomon JOINES, Caloway JOINES, & J.F. CAUDILL, for $225. Signed: Jas. C. (X) MCGRADY, Wady (X) MCGRADY. Wit: J.J. ATWOOD. Proved Sept. 24, 1883 (ack'd). Reg. May 16, 1927. (Alleghany DB 35:311.)