Meredith T. Norman
& Caroline Edwards
Meredith T. Norman, son of Clement NORMAN & Anne Catherine WOLFE of Surry Co., NC, was born Mar. 24, 1831, probably in Surry Co., NC, and died Dec. 24, 1919, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (1) Nancy. He married (2) Caroline Edwards, daughter of Berry EDWARDS, Sr. & Ruth DAVIS, Nov. 27, 1853, in Ashe Co., NC. She was born Mar. 10, 1834, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 6, 1893, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was the widow of Reeves CROUSE who died in the Civil War. Meredith T. Norman is buried at the Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church in Alleghany Co., NC. Caroline Edwards Norman is buried at the Center Edwards Cemetery near Sparta, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Meredith T. Norman & Unknown:
- Martha Norman, b. abt. 1853, Surry Co., NC.
- William L. Norman, b. May 26, 1855, Surry Co., NC; d. Feb. 28, 1932, Surry Co., NC; m. Alice Cynthia ANDREWS, daughter of Merritt ANDREWS & Tamsey STAMPER, Dec. 8, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 27, 1859; d. Apr. 2, 1906); bur. Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Sarah Norman, b. abt. 1855, Surry Co., NC.
- Joseph Norman, b. abt. 1858, Surry Co., NC.
Children of Meredith T. Norman & Caroline Edwards:
- Willard Guy Norman, b. abt. 1869, Alleghany Co., NC; d. aft. 1930, probably in Montana; m. Theresa, abt. 1894. Listed in the census in Fergus Co., MT, 1910-1930.
- Nancy Norman, b. Oct. 1869, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Ulysses Spencer WILSON, son of Martin & Matilda WILSON, Mar. 1, 1891, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Millard T. Norman, b. Mar. 1872, Alleghany Co., NC; d. aft. 1930, probably in Montana; m. Clara, abt. 1901. Listed in the census in Park Co., MT, 1900-1930.
Meredith T. Norman was born in Surry County, North Carolina, but settled in Alleghany County after the Civil War. According to his gravestone, he served in the Civil War as a Captain in the 37th Battalion Virginia Cavalry. This unit, also known as Dunn's Battalion Partisan Rangers, was involved in various operations in western Virginia and east Tennessee, and saw action in the Shenandoah Valley. M.T. Norman was the captain of Company F, organized Oct. 26, 1862, and composed of North Carolina volunteers. (Source: J.S. Scott, 36th and 37th Battalions Virginia Cavalry (The Virginia Regimental Series) (H.E. Howard Publishing, 1986).)
- 1850 Census, Surry Co., NC, No. Div., Thompson Dist., p.322 (HH#768):
CLEMENT NORMAN, 46, farmer, b. in NC
- -- Ann, 41, NC
- -- Lesley J., 21 (m), schoolteacher, NC
- -- Meredith, 20, farmer, NC <<this is him
- -- William, 16, farmer, NC
- -- Mary, 14, NC
- -- Jackson, 12, NC
- -- Matthew, 8, NC
- -- Frederick, 6, NC
- -- Ann, 1, NC
- 1860 Census, Surry Co., NC, Nixons Dist., p.217 (HH#492):
MARIDA NORMAN, 29, farmer, $350, $1600, b. in NC
- -- Nancy, 29, NC
- -- M.E., 6 (f), NC
- -- W.L., 5 (m), NC
- -- J.H., 4 (m), NC
- -- S.F., 1 (f), NC
Nov. 22, 1866. Meredith NORMAN & Caroline CROUSE were married in Alleghany Co., NC. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
M.T. NORMAN, 39, farmer, NC
- -- Caroline, 35, NC
- -- Martha, 17, NC
- -- William, 15, NC
- -- Sarah J., 15, NC
- -- Joseph, 12, NC
- -- Cynthia, 12, NC << Cynthia Crouse
- -- Sarah, 11, NC << Sarah Crouse
- -- Rausey, 9, NC << Rosa Crouse
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
MARIDETH NORMAN, 48, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Caroline, wife, 44, " " "
- -- Willard G., son, 11, " " "
- -- Nancy O.C., dau, 10, " " "
- -- Millard T., son, 7, " " "
- CROUSE, Cynthia, step-dau, 21, " " "
- -- Rosa E., step-dau, 19, " " "
- -- Hiram R., step-son, 16, " " "
- PARKS, Joseph, 16 B, " " ", farm laborer, note: idiotic
1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
(Ulysses Wilson, HH#2):
Merdith T. NORMAN, father-in-law, May 1831, age 69, wd, NC NC NC, farm laborer
Nov. 2, 1860. Isom EDWARDS to M.T. NORMAN, a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] adj. James SIMCOCK & Abram EDWARDS, for $150. Signed: Isom EDWARDS. Wit: W.A. WOODRUFF. Proved by acknowledgment [no date]. (Alleghany DB 1:465.)
July 14, 1874. M.T. NORMAN and others appointed to lay off the dower interest of Matilda CHEEK in the lands of William CHEEK, dec'd. (Alleghany DB 8:18.)
Aug. 25, 1875. M.T. NORMAN & wife Caroline to William EDWARDS, a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] adj. ANDREWS & others, beg. on the south side of a branch on east bank of Little River, adj. the old FLETCHER? line, for $55. Signed: M.T. NORMAN, Caroline NORMAN. Wits: Wm. H. JOINS [JOINES], M.F. JOINS. Proved Dec. 30, 1885 (ack'd). Filed Dec. 30, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:506.)
Dec. 30, 1875. State of NC to M.T. NORMAN, 17 acres on Brush Creek adj. said NORMAN, David HOLBROOK, & Isom EDWARDS. Entered Apr. 12, 1875. (Alleghany Land Grant No. 108). Reg. July 29, 1897. (Alleghany DB 11:303.)
Mar. 29, 1876. Isom EDWARDS & M.T. NORMAN, boundary agreement. The fences now standing shall be the line between EDWARDS & NORMAN and each to help keep up the fence from said EDWARDS' line running north to the Little River. Signed: Isom EDWARDS, M.T. NORMAN. Wit: D. HOLBROOK. Proved Mar. 11, 1876, by David HOLBROOK. Reg. Mar. 11, 1876. (Alleghany DB 3:174.)
Sept. 14, 1892. D.R. COX & wife Cynthia E. COX, Melvin B. COX & wife Rosa COX, of Alleghany Co., NC, & W.G. NORMAN & M.T. NORMAN of Fergus Co., MT, to H.R. CROUSE of Alleghany Co., NC, for $400, all their interest in a tract of land on Little River & Brush Creek adj. Isom EDWARDS, W.H. JOINES, & others. Signed: D.R. COX, Cintha E. COX, Melvin B. COX, Rosa E. COX, Willard G. NORMAN, Millard T. NORMAN. Reg. Oct. 22, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:304.)