Gideon Woodruff &
Prudence Day Phillips
Gideon Woodruff, son of Moses "Manassa" WOODRUFF, Sr., & Phebe MARSH, was born Aug. 6, 1764, in Westfield, Essex Co., NJ, and died Oct. 24, 1820, in Surry Co., NC. He married Prudence Day Phillips, daughter of Abner & Elizabeth PHILLIPS, in Surry Co., NC. She was born bet. 1760-1770 in Hunterdon Co., NJ, and died about 1845 in Surry Co., NC.
Children of Gideon Woodruff & Prudence Day Phillips:
- Abner Woodruff, probably b. abt. 1785, Surry Co., NC (identified as eldest son in Gideon Woodruff's will); d. Nov. 1829, Surry Co., NC; m. Nancy BURCH, daughter of William BURCH & Judith WINFREY, Oct. 27, 1809, Surry Co., NC (b. bet. 1780-1790; d. Nov. 25, 1845). Children: Charlotte Woodruff (1812) m. William K. BRYAN; William Burch Woodruff (1816) m. Martha H. JOHNSON.
- Cornelius Woodruff, b. Feb. 9, 1788, Surry Co., NC; d. abt. 1871, Surry Co., NC; m. Elizabeth HURT, Dec. 9, 1809, Surry Co., NC (b. May 1, 1785; d. 1860). Children: Mary "Polly" Woodruff (1811), Gideon Hurt Woodruff (1813), Cinderella Lucinda Woodruff (1815), Joel N. Woodruff (1818), Susannah Woodruff (1821), Jennett Woodruff (1823) m. Elmore CHEEK; Phoebe Celia Woodruff (1828).
- Mary "Polly" Woodruff, b. abt. 1789, Surry Co., NC; d. May 1857, Surry Co., NC; m. Sinclair MCMICKLE, Oct. 26, 1809, Surry Co., NC (b. abt. 1779; d. abt. 1856).
- John Woodruff, b. abt. 1790, Surry Co., NC; d. abt. 1812, Surry Co., NC.
- Phebe Woodruff, b. bet. 1790-1800, Surry Co., NC; d. ?; m. Jesse W. BURCH, son of William BURCH & Judith WINFREY.
- Samuel F. Woodruff, b. Jan. 24, 1793, Surry Co., NC; d. Jan. 26, 1863, Floyd Co., GA; m. Keziah BURCH, Dec. 11, 1819, Surry Co., NC (b. Oct. 7, 1802; d. Oct. 26, 1885). Children: Judith W. Woodruff (1821), Abner Phillips Woodruff (1823), Nancy Caroline Woodruff (1825), William W. Woodruff (1828), Gideon J. Woodruff (1831), Martin M. Woodruff (1834), Martha Woodruff (1836), Edmund T. Woodruff (1838), Samuel F. Woodruff (1843).
- Elizabeth Woodruff, b. abt. 1794, Surry Co., NC; d. 1870-1880, Surry Co., NC; m. Micajah NICHOLSON, son of Abel NICHOLSON & Abigail PHILLIPS, Nov. 2, 1818, Surry Co., NC (b. abt. 1794; d. 1870-1880). Children: Abigail Nicholson (1821), Prudence Nicholson (1826), Jennet Nicholson (1827), Elizabeth Lucinda Nicholson (1830), Phebe Nicholson (1831), William Nicholson (1832), Cornelius Nicholson (1834), Ephraim Nicholson (1840).
- David Henry Woodruff, b. abt. 1794, Surry Co., NC; d. 1872, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Elizabeth DAVIS, Apr. 15, 1818, Surry Co., NC (b. abt. 1802; d. July 25, 1884). Children: Nancy Lucinda Woodruff (1822) m. William CHEEK; Daniel Davis Woodruff (1825) m. Nancy PHILLIPS; Gideon Micajah Woodruff (1827), Prudence Emily Woodruff (1829), David Cornelius Woodruff (1833), Martha E. Woodruff (1835), Braxton Woodruff (1837).
- Moses Woodruff, b. Jan. 17, 1800, Surry Co., NC; d. Apr. 29, 1854, Yadkin Co., NC; m. Charity Jane COCKERHAM, daughter of David COCKERHAM & Mary Ann BURCH, Feb. 12, 1822, Surry Co., NC (b. Dec. 19, 1800; d. Aug. 30, 1884). Children: John P. Woodruff (c.1824), Sarah A. Woodruff (1826), Aaron Woodruff (1831), Moses Cochran Woodruff (1831), Allen Woodruff (c.1834), William W. Woodruff (c.1838), Elizabeth C. Woodruff (1841).
- Micajah Washington Woodruff, b. bet. 1800-1810, Surry Co., NC.
- Rebeckah Woodruff, b. bet. 1800-1810, Surry Co., NC; m. John ASHBY, Nov. 1, 1825, Surry Co., NC.
- Jennett Woodruff, b. bet. 1800-1810, Surry Co., NC; m. James A. ASHBY, Dec. 18, 1829, Surry Co., NC.
- Lucinda Woodruff, b. abt. 1809, Surry Co., NC; d. aft. 1880, Floyd Co., GA; m. Reuben SHORES, Apr. 12, 1833, Surry Co., NC (b. abt. 1803; d. bef. 1880).
- Allen Woodruff, b. abt. 1812, Surry Co., NC; d. Apr. 15, 1851, Surry Co., NC; m. Celia CARTER. She m. (2nd) Abraham M. BRYAN.
ideon Woodruff was the oldest son of Moses Woodruff and Phebe Marsh and is believed to be their child who was baptised at the First Presbyterian Church of Westfield, New Jersey, on Sept. 9, 1764. (William K. McKinney, Commemorative History of the Presbyterian Church in Westfield, New Jersey 1728-1928 (1929).) The Woodruffs came to Surry County, NC, in the 1770's when Gideon was a small child . He probably married Prudence Day PHILLIPS in the 1780's based on the ages of their children. His will, dated Oct. 24, 1820, was recorded in the February term 1821 in Surry Co., NC. (Surry WB 3, p.147). His gravestone is said to be the oldest gravestone ever found in Surry County, dated 1764.
Feb. 19, 1785, Surry Co., NC, Court Minutes: Gideon WOODRUFF served on a jury.
- 1790 Census, Surry Co., NC: GIDEON WOODRUFF
- 1 white male over 16
- 3 white males under 16
- 2 white females
Aug, 9, 1791. Surry Co., NC. Humphrey COCKERHAM to John MCBRIDE, for £50 hard money, 52 acres bet. Yadkin River & Pipes Creek adj. John PIPES. Wits: William MCBRIDE, Gideon WOODRUFF. Signed: Humphrey (X) COCKERHAM, Jemima (X) COCKERHAM. (Surry DB F, p.84.)
1800 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.700: GIDEON WOODROOF
|3 w/m under 10||2 w/f under 10|
|3 w/m 10-15||1 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 26-45||1 w/f 26-45|
1810 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.174: GEDION WOODRUFF
|3 w/m under 10||3 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 16-26||1 w/f 26-45|
|1 w/m over 45|
1812 Tax List, Surry Co., NC, Capt. Martin's Dist.: GIDEON WOODRUFF, 620 acres, 1 poll
1820 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.786: GIDEON WOODRUFF
|1 w/m under 10||3 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 10-15||1 w/f over 45|
|1 w/m 16-25|
|1 w/m over 45|
Oct. 24, 1820. Will of Gideon WOODRUFF dated Oct. 24, 1820, proved Feb. term, 1821, Surry County, NC. Names wife Prudence; eldest son Abner; other sons Cornelius, Samuel, David, Moses, Micajah, Allen; eldest daughter Mary MCMICKLE; daughters Elizabeth NICHELSON, Phebe BERCH, & Jennet; 2 youngest daughters Rebecckah & Lucinda. Exectors: wife Prudence, son Abner. Wit: Jacob DOBBINS, Samuel EDWARDS, A. WOODRUFF. (Surry Co., NC, WB 3:147.)