Moses Woodruff, Jr.,
& Sarah Phillips
Moses Woodruff, Jr., son of Moses "Manassa" WOODRUFF, Sr., & Phebe MARSH, was born Jan. 30, 1772, in Westfield, Essex Co., NJ, and died May 1803 in Surry Co., NC, at the age of 31. He married Sarah Phillips, daughter of Abner & Elizabeth PHILLIPS, abt. 1795 in Surry Co., NC. She was born abt. 1776 in Virginia, and died between 1850-1860 probably in Yadkin Co., NC. Sarah married (2nd) William BAGBY, Nov. 7, 1809, in Surry Co., VA. He was born before 1765 and died between 1810-1830.
Children of Moses Woodruff, Jr., & Sarah Phillips:
- Prudence Woodruff, b. abt. 1796, Surry Co., NC; d. aft. 1850, Surry Co., NC; m. her 1st cousin, Ephraim NICHOLSON, son of Abel NICHOLSON & Abigail PHILLIPS (b. abt. 1794; d. abt. 1850). Children: Richard Nicholson (c.1829), Aaron Nicholson (c.1831), Ephraim Nicholson (c.1834).
- Richard P. Woodruff, b. Mar. 9, 1804, Surry Co., NC; d. Sept. 1, 1870, Surry Co., NC; m. his 1st cousin, Nancy PHILLIPS, daughter of Phillip PHILLIPS & Carolina Susannah "Suki" SPENCER, Mar. 19, 1831, Surry Co., NC (b. Oct. 9, 1812; d. June 12, 1899). Children: Susan Woodruff (c.1834), Enoch Woodruff (c.1838).
- +Phebe Woodruff, b. Mar. 1802, Surry Co., NC; d. Mar. 1, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Chesley CHEEK, son of Richard CHEEK & Jane "Jennie" ANDREWS, abt. 1830 (b. 1810; d. Mar. 1, 1869); bur. Chesley Cheek Cemetery, Vox community, Alleghany Co., NC.
oses Woodruff, Jr. was baptised at the First Presbyterian Church of Westfield, New Jersey, on Apr. 1, 1772. (William K. McKinney, Commemorative History of the Presbyterian Church in Westfield, New Jersey 1728-1928 (1929); see also C.N. Woodruff, Woodruff Chronicles, Vol. II (1971), p.175.) He was probably an infant or young child when his family moved to Surry County, North Carolina. He married Sarah PHILLIPS, daughter of Abner & Elizabeth PHILLIPS of Surry County, around 1795 based on the ages of their children.
Moses died in 1803 at the age of only 31. Sarah remarried six years later to William BAGBY on Nov. 7, 1809, in Surry County, NC. They had four children: (1) Abner Bagby, b. Sept. 4, 1810; d. Mar. 24, 1888, Yadkin Co., NC; m. Lucinda WHITAKER. (2) Abigail Bagby, b. abt. 1814; m. Elisha Clark ROUGHTON, Oct. 10, 1854, Yadkin Co., NC. (3) Elizabeth Bagby, b. Sept. 8, 1815; d. Nov. 8, 1899, Surry Co., NC (never married). (4) Rebecca Bagby, b. abt. 1819, Surry Co., NC.
1810 Census, Surry Co., NC: WILLIAM BAGBY
|3 w/m under 10;||2 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f 26-45|
|1 w/m over 45|
- 1812 Tax List, Surry Co., NC, Capt. Martin's Dist.:
- Abner PHILLIPS for the Heirs of Moses WOODRUFF, 900 acres, 0 polls
- William BAGBY, 0 acres, 1 poll
1820 Census, Surry Co., NC: not listed.
William Bagby apparently died before 1830 when Sarah is listed as a head of household in the census.
1830 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.101: SARAH BAGLEY
|1 w/m 15-19||2 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/f 50-59|
1840 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.75: SARAH BAGLEY
|2 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/f 60-69|
- 1850 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.192:
SARAH BAGGBY, 74, value of real estate $74, born in VA
- -- Abagail, 36, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 34, NC
- -- Rebecca, 32, NC