Moses Cockerham, Jr.
of Surry County, NC
Moses Cockerham, Jr., son of Moses COCKERHAM, Sr., & Elizabeth (possibly ELLIOT) was born abt. 1780 in Surry Co., NC, and died bet. 1850-1860 in Surry Co., NC. He married Susannah Jarrott (verification needed) and/or Martha, last name unknown. Martha was born abt. 1777 and died bet. 1850-1860 in Surry Co., NC.
Possible children of Moses Cockerham, Jr. (some sources conflict):
- Nancy Ann Cockerham, b. abt. 1801, Surry Co., NC; d. abt. 1890; m. Martin PAYNE.
- Sarah Cockerham, b. abt. 1804, Surry Co., NC; m. John PAYNE.
- Hugh Cockerham, b. Aug. 8, 1806, Surry Co., NC; d. May 23, 1885, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Nancy FULKS, Dec. 19, 1831 (b. Apr. 11, 1801; d. Mar. 4, 1881).
- Tabitha Cockerham, b. Jan. 11, 1808, Surry Co., NC; d. 1867, Surry Co., NC; m. Edward CREED.
- Joseph Cockerham, b. 1809, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Elizabeth Isom POOLE.
- Mary Cockerham, b. 1810, Wilkes Co., NC; d. ? Carroll Co., VA; m. Thomas S. FULKS.
- William Cockerham, b. 1814, Surry Co., NC; d. abt. 1896, Surry Co., NC; m. Nancy LOWE, abt. 1836 (b. abt. 1818; d. aft. 1870); bur. Cockerham Cemetery, Surry Co., NC.
- +James Adam Cockerham, b. abt. 1816, Surry Co., NC; d. bet. 1870-1880, Surry Co., NC; m. Nancy Carolina HOOD, abt. 1844 (b. abt. 1826; d. bet. 1900-1910).
oses Cockerham, Jr., was born about 1780, ten years or so after his family arrived in Surry County, NC. He had one brother, James who died prior to 1816, and a sister, Susannah who married Jarot or Jarrett AUBERRY. Some sources indicate that Moses Cockerham, Jr., was married to a woman named Susannah JARROT, but verification is needed. According to the 1850 census, Moses Jr.'s wife's name was Martha.
Moses is named in the will of his father Moses Cockerham, Sr., dated Feb. 25, 1816, proved Feb. 1817 in Surry Co., NC. Moses was to receive the grist mill until his nephew William Anderson Cockerham was of age. (NC Archives Box No. CR.092.801.6).
1810 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.163: MOSES COCKERHAM
|2 w/m under 10||4 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 26-45||1 w/f 26-45|
1820 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.762: MOSES COCKERHAM
|3 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 26-45||1 w/f 16-25|
|1 w/f 26-45|
|1 w/f over 45|
1820. Moses COCKERHAM was a witness for the plaintiff in the case of William LEWIS vs. Abraham HAWKS. Paid for 2 days and 100 miles traveled. (Surry Court Minutes.)
1830 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.136: MOSES COCKRAM
|1 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 15-19|
|2 w/m 15-19||3 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 50-59|
|1 w/m 50-59|
1840 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.83: MOSES COCHRAN
|2 w/m 15-19||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 60-69||1 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/f 60-69|
- 1850 Census, Surry Co., NC, No. Div., Mt. Airy Dist.,
MOSES COCKERHAM, 70, farmer, $200, NC
- -- Martha, 73, VA
- (living next to James Cockerham, HH#479)