Sarah Crouse &
(1) Wesley Gilham
(2) Anderson R. Baugus
Sarah Crouse, daughter of Benjamin CROUSE & Wady CHEEK, was born Jan. 1840 in Ashe Co., NC, and died between 1920-1930 in Carroll Co., VA. She married (1) Wesley Gilham, son of David GILHAM & Mary HOWELL, Dec. 28, 1857, in Ashe Co., NC. He was born May 23, 1836, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 17, 1911, in Alleghany Co., NC. Wesley and Sarah divored prior to 1870. She married (2) Anderson R. Baugus, son of Osborn BAUGUS & Frances ROBERTS, Mar. 21, 1870, in Alleghany Co., NC. He was born abt. 1848 in Wilkes Co., NC, and died unknown. Sarah is probably buried in Carroll Co., VA.
Child of Sarah Crouse & Wesley Gilham:
- Benjamin Gilham Baugus, b. abt. 1868, Carroll Co., VA; d. Oct. 11, 1886, Carroll Co., VA, at age 18. It appears he used his step-father's last name, Baugus.
Children of Sarah Crouse & Anderson Baugus:
- Arra L. Baugus, (daughter), b. abt. 1872, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Verlie Flem Baugus, b. May 18, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Nov. 3, 1961; bur. Fayetteville National Cemetery, Washington Co., AR. He met his first wife abt. 1901 while serving in the army in Cuba. She was born abt. 1883 in Spain. They married and settled in Riley Co., KS. He married his second wife, Estelle E., abt. 1919 in Kansas (b. Oct. 29, 1896; d. Sept. 30, 1978).
- Friel Roy Baugus, b. Feb. 25, 1879, Carroll Co., VA; d. July 17, 1961, Carroll Co., VA; m. Rosa C. EVANS, abt. 1909 (b. Mar. 19, 1891; d. Feb. 19, 1934); bur. Popes Knob Cemetery, Poplar Knob Road, Carroll Co., VA.
- Unnamed infant son, b. Sept. 1883, Carroll Co., VA; d. Oct. 22, 1883.
arah Crouse married Wesley Gilham on Dec. 28, 1857, in Ashe County, NC. He was the son of David Gilham and Mary Ann Howell, originally of Floyd County, VA. Wesley and Sarah divorced prior to 1870 when Sarah married Anderson Baugus. Sarah and Anderson Baugus moved to Carroll County, VA, where they lived in Pipers Gap Township.
Wesley Gilham remained in Alleghany County and married three more times after he and Sarah were divorced. He died in 1911 and is buried at the Shiloh Church Cemetery in Alleghany County, NC.
Sarah and Anderson Baugus also may have separated or divorced. According to an unverified LDS Ancestry File, Anderson Baugus married Elizabeth RAKES on Jan. 23, 1898, in Patrick Co., VA. They are listed in the 1900 Census of Patrick Co., VA, and the 1910 Census of Surry County, NC.
Dec. 28, 1857. Wesley Gilham & Sarah Crows posted a marriage bond in Ashe Co., NC.
1860 Census: not listed.
Mar. 21, 1870. Anderson BAUGUS, age 20, son of Ausburn & Fannie BAUGUS, m. Sarah CROUSE GILUM, age 29, daughter of Benjamin CROUSE & Wadie CHEEK. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
- 1870 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Trap Hill Twp., p.401
ANDERSON BAUGUS, 22, farmer, NC
- -- Sarah E., 26, keeping house, NC
- -- Benjamin, 3, NC << this is Sarah's son, Benjamin GILHAM
- 1880 Census, Carroll Co., VA, Pipers Gap Twp., p.97:
ANDERSON BAUGAS, 29, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Sarah E., wife, 35, " " "
- -- Benjamin, son, 12, " " "
- -- Arra L., dau, 8, " " "
- -- Verline F.R., son, 5, VA NC NC
- -- Freel R., son, 1, " " "
Carroll County Death Register:
- Baugus, not named (male), d. Oct. 22, 1883, cause: not known, age: 1 month 15 days; parents: Anderson R & Sarah E. Baugus; informant: Anderson A. Baugus, father.
- Baugus, Benjamin N., d. Oct. 11, 1886, cause: whooping cough/fever, age: 18 years; unmarried; parents: Anderson R. & Sarah E. Baugus; place of birth: NC; informant: Sarah E. Baugus, mother.
- 1900 Census, Carroll Co., VA, Pipers Gap Twp., p.143
SARAH E. BAUGUS, Jan. 1840, age 60, m. 23 yrs, 9 children/3 living, NC NC NC
- -- Friel R., son, Feb. 1879, age 21, VA NC NC
- 1910 Census, Carroll Co., VA, Pipers Gap Twp., p.10 (HH#159):
FRIEL R. BAUGUS, 28, m. 2 yrs, VA NC NC, farm laborer - working out
- -- Rossie, wife, 19, m. 2 yrs, 1 child/1 living, NC NC NC
- -- Annie O., dau, 4 mos., VA NC NC
- -- Sarah E., mother, 65, married, 9 children/3 living, NC NC NC
1920 Census, Carroll Co., VA, Galax Pct., ED#13, p.9 (Roy Baugus, HH#96): Sarah E. BAUGUS, mother, 81