Solomon Osborne Edwards, Sr.,
of Alleghany County, NC
Solomon Osborne Edwards, Sr., son of David EDWARDS, Jr. & Jane OSBORNE, was born Aug. 26, 1819, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 1, 1901, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (1) Mazy McMillan, daughter of James MCMILLAN & Thursa GAMBILL, Jan. 19, 1839. She was born Aug. 5, 1818, in North Carolina, and died Apr. 11, 1870, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (2) Margaret Phipps, daughter of Joseph & Nancy PHIPPS, Jan. 11, 1871, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born abt. 1930 and died before 1900. Solomon and Mazy Edwards are buried at the Solomon Edwards Cemetery, located off Hwy. 221, 9 ½ miles west of Sparta, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Solomon O. Edwards, Sr., & Mazy McMillan:
- Phoebe Jane Edwards, b. Jan. 28, 1841, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 19, 1921, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William "Wid" HALSEY, son of Caswell HALSEY & Mahala __ (b. Nov. 20 1837; d. June 12, 1913); bur. William Halsey Cemetery, Rd. 1315, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Elvira Jane Edwards, b. Aug. 4, 1843, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 1912, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Wiley P. MAXWELL, Sr., Oct. 4, 1862, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1829; d. 1864); m. (2) Jacob C. CROUSE, son of William S. CROUSE & Jane FENDER, Dec. 10, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 28, 1845; d. Mar. 26, 1925); bur. Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Laura E. Maxwell, +Wiley P. Maxwell, Jr., 11 children with Jacob C. Crouse.
- David Franklin Edwards, b. May 1846, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1900 in Gallila Co., OH; m. Candice Jane LONG, daughter of Solomon S. LONG & Mary ABSHER, Feb. 12, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 1846; d. aft. 1900). Living in Perry Twp., Gallia Co., OH, in 1880 and 1900. Children: Louellen J. Edwards (c.1866), William R. Edwards (c.1868).
- James Melvin Edwards, b. June 12, 1848, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 18, 1914, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Martha CROUSE, daughter of William S. CROUSE & Jane FENDER, Nov. 7, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 1, 1852; d. Sept. 14, 1942); bur. Melvin Edwards Cemetery, Rd. 1416, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: John Rufus Edwards (1874), Sarah Jane Edwards (1882), Granville Edwards (1884), Mazy Edwards (1887), Thomas Edwards (1888), Otho Edwards (1890), Berkie E. Edwards (1896) m. Robert Lee Edwards.
- +Mary "Mollie" Edwards, b. May 7, 1850, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 22, 1918, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Major Finley JOINES, son of Ezekiel JOINES & Pheraby CAUDILL, abt. 1867 (b. May 1, 1833; d. Dec. 28, 1917); bur. Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Thursey Edwards, b. 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1864, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Andrew M. Edwards, b. Mar. 3, 1856, Ashe Co., NC: d. Dec. 2, 1930, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Esther Louisa RICHARDSON, daughter of Fields RICHARDSON & Mary RAY, Dec. 25, 1876, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 23, 1858; d. May 4, 1922); bur. Zion Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Maza Virginia Edwards (1877), Rosa Belle Edwards (1886), May Edwards (1890), Franklin Cleo Edwards (1897).
- Solomon Osborne Edwards, Jr., b. Aug. 16, 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 15, 1938; m. Nancy Lou TAYLOR, daughter of Joseph TAYLOR & Melissa __, Sept. 21, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 22, 1865; d. June 14, 1957); bur. New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Hwy 221 past Rd. 1353, Alleghany Co., NC. Moved to Sioux Falls, SD. Children: Ennice Edwards (1883), Grover Cleveland Edwards (1884), Pearl Edwards (1886), Charlie Thurman Edwards (1888), Carper Elmore Edwards (1892), Mazy Lou Ellen Edwards (1893), Maggie Jane Edwards (1895), Carrie Anna Edwards (1898), Lollie M. Edwards (1899), William Bert Edwards (1901), Joseph Frank Edwards (1903), Ruth Mahalia Edwards (1906), George Mack Edwards (1908), Robert Lee Edwards (1910).
Children of Solomon O. Edwards, Sr., & Margaret Phipps: none.
1840 Census. Solomon O. Edwards is not listed in the 1840 census of Ashe Co., NC, although he reportedly married his wife, Mazy McMillan, on Jan. 19, 1839. They might have been living with Solomon's mother, Jane EDWARDS. (His father, David Edwards, died in 1828.) Jane's household (census page p.43) includes 1 white male age 20-29 and 1 white female age 20-29, possibly Solomon O. Edwards and his wife.
Oct. 4, 1847. Osborne EDWARDS is named is his mother Jane EDWARDS' will, dated Oct. 4, 1847, recorded in Ashe Co., NC.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.262 (HH#363):
SOLOMON O. EDWARDS, 31, farmer, $800, NC
- -- Mazy, 30, NC
-- Pheby, 10, NC
-- E.J., 8, f, NC
-- Franklin, 6, NC
-- James, 4, NC
-- Polly, 6 mos., NC
COX, J[??], 21, m, laborer, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Elk Creek P.O., p.381
S.O. EDWARDS, 40, farmer, $3000, $3600, NC
- -- Mazy, 39, NC
-- Franklin, 15, NC
-- Melvin, 13, NC
-- Polly, 11, NC
-- Thursey, 9, NC
-- Andrew, 7, NC
-- [blank], 5, m, NC
1860 Census, Slave Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC, p.1: OSBORN EDWARDS, 3 slaves
Civil War: S. Osborne EDWARDS served in Co. B, 5th NC Sr. Reserves. Enlisted July 13, 1864 at Flint Hill, Ashe Co., NC. AWOL on Feb. 28, 1865. (Source: "Ashe and Alleghany County in the Civil War" by Jeff Weaver.)
Oct. 24. 1864. S.O. EDWARDS and others posted three bonds in the amount of $10,000 each for the Sheriff Jesse BLEDSOE, to ensure his collection of taxes and performance of other duties as Sheriff. (Alleghany DB 1:58-59.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Prather's Creek
OSBORN EDWARDS, 51, farmer, NC
- -- Andrew, 14, NC
-- Osborn, 12, NC
JOINES, Major, 38, NC
-- Mary, 20, NC
-- Wiley, 2, NC
-- John, 6 mos., NC
Jan. 11, 1871. Solomon O. EDWARDS, son of David & Jane EDWARDS, m. Margaret PHIPPS PUGH, daughter of Joseph & Nancy PHIPPS. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Prather's Creek
S.O. EDWARDS, 56, farmer, NC NC VA
- -- Peggy, 50, wife, NC VA NC
- -- Osborn, 21, son, NC NC NC
- THOMAS, Ronda, 56, Mu, servant, NC NC NC
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Prather's Creek
Twp., p.195 (HH#276):
LEE PETTY, Sept. 1869, age 30, m. 9 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Allie, wife, Apr. 1874, age 26, m. 9 yrs, 4 children/3
living, NC NC NC
-- Thomas O., son, Apr. 1894, age 6, NC NC NC
-- Joseph E., son, Sept. 1896, age 3, " " "
-- Andrew M., son, May 1899, age 1, " " "
PRUITT, John, cousin, Oct. 1889, age 12, " " "
PETTY, Brady (f), July 1873, age 26, wd, " " "
EDWARDS, Osborne, Sr., father-in-law,* Aug. 1819, age 80, wd, " " "
*Note: the above census entry contains an error. Solomon O. Edwards, Sr., was not the father-in-law of Lee (Leander) Petty, who was married to Allie Jane IRWIN, daughter of Thomas Irwin & Sina Caudill.
Mar. 12, 1851. Osborn EDWARDS & wife Marion, Alfred DICKSON [DIXON] & wife Nercessa, & Nancy DICKSON, to George REEVES, for $100, their 9 part shares in a tract of land on Walnut Branch known as the BROWN tract belonging to the estate of James MCMILLAN & containing in said shares 100 acres. [The whole tract] beg. on north side of Bakers Ridge & containing 300 acres. Signed: S.O. EDWARDS, Marion (X) EDWARDS, Alfred DICKSON, Nessa (X) DICKSON. [No wits.] Proved Mar. 13, 1851, & Sept. 12, 1851 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 6:58.)
Sept. 10, 1870. Alfred DIXON & wife Narcessa of Tazewell Co., VA, to Fields J. MCMILLAN of Alleghany Co., NC, for $75, all their right title & interest in the lands belonging to the late Alexander B. MCMILLAN on Elk Creek adj. Wm. HAM, Wm. WARDEN, George T. REEVES, Caswell HALSEY, etc., supposed to be 300 acres. A.B. MCMILLAN died intestate leaving no children, & the aforesaid Narcessa DIXON wife of Alfred DIXON, Polly WARDEN wife of William WARDEN, & Masey EDWARDS wife of S.O. EDWARDS, have the said land according to the laws of the state as tenants in common, no partition having yet been made. Signed: Alfred DIXSON, Narcessa (X) DIXSON. Wits: D.C. JONES, H.J. WILLIAMS. Proved Sept. 10, 1870, by Narcessa DIXSON; D.C. JONES, J.P. Also proved May 5, 1888, by H.J. WILLIAMS. Reg. May 9, 1888. (Alleghany DB 7:537.)
Note: Narcessa DIXON, Polly WARDEN, & Mazy EDWARDS were nieces of A.B. MCMILLAN who died childless in 1864, leaving a large amount of land.
Mar. 21, 1871. S.O. EDWARDS to J.M. EDWARDS, 100 acres on Elk Creek adj. a road, H.S. REEVES, the branch near where PRICE lived, & Allen JONES, for $450. Signed: S.O. EDWARDS. Wits: M.F. JOINES, Thomas PRICE. Proved Mar. 27, 1871 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:419.)
May 4, 1871. J.R. WYATT, Sheriff, to Horton S. REEVES, a tract of land belonging to S.O. EDWARDS on Elk Creek known as the ERWIN land where J.M. EDWARDS lives [no acreage stated], adj. the home tract, James CHESHURE, a ridge, William POE, & Jesse REEVES, for $108. Sold at public auction on May 1, 1871, by virtue of executions in favor of Daniel S. JONES & others against S.O. EDWARDS & F.M. MITCHELL; A.B. MCMILLAN against S.O. EDWARDS; & Ruben KILLY & wife against A.B. COX & S.O. EDWARDS. Signed: John R. WYATT, Sheriff. Wits: E.L. VAUGHAN, D.C. EDWARDS. Proved May 4, 1871 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:469.)
Apr. 13, 1872. J.R. WYATT, Sheriff, to M.F. JOINES, 100 acres on Elk Creek belonging to S.O. EDWARDS, adj. a road, H.S. REEVES, the PRICE Branch, & Allen JONES, for $271. Land sold at public auction on May 3, 1871, by virtue of an execution to satisfy $1,200 bond recorded by Salem Bank against S.O. EDWARDS as security money for A.B. COX, A.B. MCMILLAN, & D.C. JONES, Adm'rs of John JONES, dec'd. Signed: John R. WYATT, Sheriff. [No wits.] Proved May 3, 1872 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:511.)
Apr. 31, 1873. John S. HENDERSON has been appointed assignee of S.O. EDWARDS of Scottville, NC, who has been adjudged a bankrupt by a decree of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of NC. Signed: R.H. BROADFIELD, Register in Bankruptcy. (Alleghany DB 2:507.)
May 8, 1874. Solomon O. EDWARDS to William HOPPAS [HOPPERS], [mortgage deed], 126 acres on Elk Creek adj. H.S. REEVES & A.B. MCMILLAN, being the land where said S.O. EDWARDS now lives. To secure $95 debt. Signed: S.O. EDWARDS. Proved May 8, 1874 (ack'd). [Margin note]: Mortgage satisfied Oct. 10, 18?? (Alleghany DB 2:130.)
1874 [day & month blank]. John R. WYATT, Sheriff, to A.B. MCMILLAN, 2 tracts of land belonging to S.O. EDWARDS on Elk Creek adj. Elizabeth JONES, S.O. EDWARDS' homestead, & others, for $600. 1st tract: 161 acres adj. a branch, Allen JONES, a knob, a cond'l line btw. H.S. REEVES & said MCMILLAN, & S.O. EDWARDS' homestead. 2nd tract: 5 acres adj. S.O. EDWARDS' homestead tract & H.S. REEVES, being a little meadow lot. Sold at public auction in May 1871 by virtue of an execution in favor of A.B. MCMILLAN against S.O. EDWARDS. Signed: J.R. WYATT, Shff. [No wits.] Proved Feb. 12, 1894 (ack'd). Reg. Feb. 15, 1894. (Alleghany DB 9:440.)
Sept. 15, 1875. John S. HENDERSON, assignee of S.O. EDWARDS, bankrupt, to S.O. EDWARDS, Jr., 131 acres on Elk Creek adj. A.B. MCMILLAN, H.S. REEVES, & others [not identified], for $186. Sold by an order of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of NC issued Mar. 2, 1867. The purchasers were D.C. JONES? & A.B. MCMILLAN who assigned their bid to S.O. EDWARDS, Jr. Signed: John S. HENDERSON, Assignee of S.O. EDWDS, Bankrupt. Proved Jan. 27, 1885, in Rowan Co., NC (ack'd). Filed for reg. Dec. 17, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:332.)
Mar. 17, 1877. Steven HOPPERS & wife Elizabeth to Solomon EDWARDS, 74 acres adj. the old REEVES corner, Catherine OSBORN, Alfred MOXLEY, the BURTON line, Henderson CHEEK, Daniel HOPPERS, for $425. Signed: Stephen HOPPERS, Elizabeth (X) HOPPERS. Wit: Isom REYNOLDS. Proved Mar. 18, 1877 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 3:338.)