Adam Wagoner, Sr.,
of Ashe County, NC
Adam Wagoner, Sr., son of Phillip & Elizabeth (Elly) WAGONER, was born May 14, 1768, in Surry Co., NC, and died Apr. 27, 1850, in Ashe Co., NC. He married (1) Nancy Holloway. She was born between 1765-1770 and died Nov. 14, 1835, in Ashe or Surry Co., NC. He married (2) Sarah Bailey (widow of William WHITEHEAD), Feb. 26, 1838, in Surry Co., NC. She was born abt. 1768 in Maryland and died aft. 1850 in Surry Co., NC. Adam and his 2nd wife Sarah are reportedly buried at the Brown Family Cemetery in Yadkin Co., NC. Nancy Wagoner is buried at the Susanna Wagoner Cemetery, Road 1123, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Adam Wagoner, Sr., & Nancy Holloway:
- +John Allen Wagoner, b. abt. 1793, Wilkes Co., NC; d. 1860, Grayson Co., VA; m. Mary "Polly" ANDREWS, daughter of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK, abt. 1819 (b. abt. 1796; d. aft. 1880).
- +Henry Wagoner, b. abt. 1794, Wilkes Co., NC; d. 1885, Ashe Co., NC; m. Sarah HOPPERS, daughter of Daniel HOPPERS & Anna Maria FENDER, abt. 1810 (b. May 27, 1797; d. Nov. 13, 1829); (2) Ellen "Nelly" TAYLOR, abt. 1831 (b. abt. 1814, d. bet. 1880-1900).
- +Jacob Wagoner, b. Oct. 22, 1807, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 19, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) ANNIE ROBERTS, abt. 1827 (b. abt. 1810; d. 1836-1838); m. (2) Margaret "Peggy" ANDREWS, daughter of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK, abt. 1838 (b. Jan. 8, 1816; d. Mar. 24, 1908); bur. Wagoner & Duncan Cemetery, Rd. 1421, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Adam Wagoner, Jr., b. abt. 1809, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1870-1880, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Sarah ANDREWS, daughter of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK, abt. 1825 (b. abt. 1807; d. aft. 1880).
- Susanna Wagoner, b. 1813, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1815, Ashe Co., NC; bur. Susanna Wagoner Cemetery, Rd. 1123, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Adam Wagoner, Sr., & Sarah Bailey: unknown.
dam Wagoner, Sr., was born in Surry County, NC, to Phillip and Elly or Elizabeth Wagoner. It's believed that the Wagoners came to North Carolina from Pennsylvania. Their background may have been German. Adam Wagoner is named in his father Phillip's will, recorded in Surry County in 1782 (Surry Co., NC, Will Book 1, p.161).
Adam Wagoner moved across the Blue Ridge in 1790 and settled on the Little River and Vile Creek. This area was originally in Wilkes County, NC, but it became part of Ashe County in 1799 and Alleghany County in 1859. Three of Adam Wagoner's sons married three daughters of John ANDERS (ANDREWS) & Mary CHEEK. Adam died in 1850 and is reportedly buried at the Brown Family Cemetery in what is now Yadkin County, NC (formerly Surry County). He may be the Adam WAGGONER whose will was recorded in Surry Co., NC, in 1850 (Surry Co., NC, WB 4, p.304). For more information about the Wagoners, see The Phillip Waggoner Family and Relatives by Dale E. Wagoner (self-pub., 1989), LDS Call No. 929.273 W124pw; see also Alleghany County Heritage (1983), p. 501, article no. 774.
Feb. 10, 1787. Surry Co., NC. Peter ELROD & wife Eve to Adam WAGGONER, for £25, all land & tenements left to us by the will of Philip WAGGONER, deceased. Wits: Barney (X) FAR, Henry STUTTS. Signed: Peter (X) ELROD, Eve (X) ELROD. (Surry Co., NC, DB D, p.149.)
Dec. 5, 1804. State of NC to Adam WAGONER, 100 acres in Ashe County on Vial Creek north side of Buck Knob. Entered May 9, 1803. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 520, Folder No. 188.8.131.520, Grant No. 514, Book 118:422.)
Dec. 7, 1804. State of NC to Adam WAGONER, 50 acres in Ashe County on the Little River adj. his own line & LENOIR's line. Entered Apr. 14, 1804. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 535, Folder No. 184.108.40.2065, Grant No. 529, Book 118:427.)
Nov. 1806. Adam WAGGONER and others ordered to view and lay off a road "from HAPPERSON's [HOPPPERS?] road between little river and Glad [Glade] creek the most convenient way by MAXWELL's Mill into the road from Elk Spur to the furnace & make report &c." (Ashe Court Minutes.)
1810 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.13: A. WAGGONER
|1 w/m under 10||2 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f 16-25|
|1 w/m 26-45||1 w/f 26-45|
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: ADAM WAGONER
|2 w/m under 10||2 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||0 w/f 26-45 <<"1" written in, but appears to be changed to zero|
|1 w/m 16-18||1 w/f over 45|
|2 w/m 16-25|
|1 w/m over 45|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: ADAM WAGGONER
|1 w/m 60-69||1 w/f 60-69|
Jan. 13, 1838. Adam WAGGONER to John WAGGONER, Jr., 50 acres on Little River adj. the old line & Henry WAGGONER, for $50. Signed: Adam (X) WAGGONER. Wits: Berry EDWARDS, Levi LONG. Proved Dec. 22, 1885, by C.H. DOUGHTON from Berry EDWARDS' handwriting, the said witness being dead. Filed for reg. Dec. 23, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:233.)
Feb. 26, 1838. Adam WAGGONER & Sarah WHITEHEAD posted a marriage bond in Surry Co., NC. [She was reportedly Sarah BAILEY, the widow of William WHITEHEAD of Surry Co., NC.]
1840 Census, Surry Co., NC, p.95: ADAM WAGGONER
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 60-69|
|1 w/m 60-69|
1850 Census, Surry Co., NC, So. Div., p.219
SARAH WAGGONER, 72, $175, born in MD