Young Edwards, Jr.,
& Catherine Cox
Young Edwards, Jr., son of Young EDWARDS, Sr., was born Jan. 28, 1781, in Orange or Wilkes (Ashe) Co., NC, and died Jan. 22, 1864, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Catherine Cox, daughter of James COX & Elizabeth, last name unknown, abt. 1811. She was born June 2, 1792, in Wythe Co., VA, and died Jan. 20, 1864, in Alleghany Co., NC. Young and Catherine are buried at the Isom Edwards Cemetery in Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Young Edwards, Jr., & Catherine Cox:
- +Susan Edwards, b. Mar. 12, 1812, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 11, 1899, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John HIGGINS, abt. 1827 (b. Dec. 25, 1807; d. Oct. 17, 1877); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Cox Edwards, b. Sept. 24, 1813, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 5, 1890, Grayson Co., VA; m. Violet HAMPTON, daughter of Griggs HAMPTON & Phyllis SUTHERLAND, Oct. 15, 1833, Grayson Co., VA (b. May 3, 1812; d. Mar. 11, 1892); bur. Griggs Hampton Cemetery in Old Town Dist., Grayson Co., VA. Children: Mary Edwards (1839), Sena Edwards (1843), Jane "Jenny" Edwards (c.1845), Margaret A. Edwards (1847), Marceline Edwards (c.1849), Susan Edwards (c.1852), Cyrus Houston Edwards (1855).
- Mary Edwards, b. July 30, 1817, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 20, 1873, Grayson Co., VA; m. Thomas HIGGINS, abt. 1832 (b. Apr. 2, 1802; d. May 7, 1877); bur. Higgins Cemetery in Cold Creek, Grayson Co., VA. Children: Nancy Higgins (c.1833), Jane Higgins (c.1835), Frances Higgins (c.1837), Houston E. Higgins (1839), Hardin P. Higgins (1841), Martha Higgins (c.1843), Mary Catherine Higgins (c.1845), Amelia Higgins (c.1849), Sarah Higgins (1858), John Higgins (1859).
- David B. Edwards, b. abt. 1819, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1880, Lawrence Co., IN; m. (1) Matilda EDWARDS, Feb. 1, 1844, Lawrence Co., IN (b. abt. 1820; d. bef. 1870); m. (2) Caroline __ (b. abt. 1836; d. aft. 1880). Children: William Edwards (c.1847), Catherine Edwards (c.1849), John Edwards (c.1853), Wesley C. Edwards (c.1865), Eli B. Edwards (c.1867), Thursey Edwards (c.1870), Alfred Edwards (c.1872), Martin A. Edwards (c.1875), Mollie F. Edwards (c.1877).
- Daughter Edwards, b. between 1821-1825 (based on the 1830 census). Some sources indicate she was Elizabeth "Betsy" Edwards (b. Aug. 1821, d. Jan. 13, 1910, Kansas City, MO) who married William Thomas DOUGLAS, son of George DOUGLAS & Isabella THOMPSON.
- Thomas J. Edwards, b. abt. 1822, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1880, Franklin Co., AR?; m. Nancy WARD, daughter of unk. and Lucy WARD, abt. 1845 (b. abt. 1826; d. aft. 1880). Living in Hogan, Franklin Co., AR, in 1880. Children: Mahala Edwards (c.1846), George W. Edwards (1850), Harvey Edwards (c.1853), Meredith Edwards (c.1855), John Edwards (c.1857), Sarah Edwards (c.1863).
- +Isom C. Edwards, b. Oct. 14, 1825, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 9, 1909, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Linea "Linnie" HACKLER, abt. 1848 (b. Feb. 22, 1829; d. Sept. 3, 1909); bur. Isom Edwards Cemetery, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Mary Margaret Edwards, b. Oct. 19, 1829, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 10, 1919, Alleghany Co., NC; m. her 1st cousin, David J. EDWARDS, son of Allen EDWARDS & Sarah or Nancy LANDRETH, abt. 1850 (b. Apr. 8, 1827; d. Jun 21, 1911); bur. Glade Creek Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Rush Floyd Edwards (1851), Leander "Lee" Edwards (c.1854), Garland A. Edwards (1855), Fleming C. Edwards (1857).
- +Sarah Edwards, b. Aug. 5, 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 1, 1894, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Thompson KENNEDY, son of William B. KENNEDY & Rachel THOMPSON of Wilkes Co., NC, abt. 1851 (b. Feb. 10, 1829; d. Aug. 13, 1900); bur. Glade Creek Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Amanda Edwards, b. June 11, 1834, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 31, 1903, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William Aaron KENNEDY, son of William B. KENNEDY & Rachel THOMPSON of Wilkes Co., NC, Nov. 22, 1855, in Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1824; d. 1860-1870); bur. Glade Creek Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
oung Edwards, Jr., lived in the vicinity of Glade Creek Church in the Hooker community of Alleghany County, NC. This area was part of Ashe County until Alleghany County was formed in 1859. Young Edwards served in the War of 1812 as part of the Fifth Regiment of the North Carolina Militia. He is listed on the 1814 muster roll of Ashe Co., NC. His marriage to Catherine Cox is reportedly recorded in the Cox Family Bible, part of the Wade Eller Collection, located in West Jefferson, NC. In addition, the death certificate of Young Edwards' daughter Mary Margaret "Magie" Edwards (who married David J. Edwards) gives her parents' names as Young Edwards and "Katy Cox."
In 1822, Young and Catherine moved to Lawrence County, Indiana, where Young purchased land. They sold this land to George ISOM in 1828 and went back to North Carolina, where they remained until their deaths in 1864.
Young and Catherine Edwards are buried at the Isom Edwards Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC, located on Road 1433, a half mile north of the Glade Creek Church. (See Alleghany County Cemeteries Through 1986 pub. by the Alleghany Co. Hist.-Gen. Society). For more information see also Alleghany County Heritage (Alleghany Co. Hist-Gen. Society, 1983), p.181.
May 1809. Young EDWARDS and Young EDWARDS Sr. and others were ordered to view and lay off a road "from the Elk Spur Road to the North Carolina line in a direction to Point Hope Furnace to turn off at Frank BRYANS then the nearest and best way to the Virginia line to go to the furnis on Peach Bottom." (Ashe Co., NC, Court Minutes.)
1810 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.13: Y. EDWARDS (probably Sr.)
|2 w/m 10-16||1 w/f over 45|
|1 w/m over 45|
1810 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.13: Y. EDWARDS (probably
|1 w/m under 10||1 w/f 26-45|
|1 w/m 26-45|
1815 Tax List, Ashe Co., NC, Capt. William's Dist: YOUNG EDWARDS JR., 148.5 acres, 1 poll.
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: YOUNG EDWARDS
|1 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||1 w/f age 26-45|
|1 w/m 16-18|
|1 w/m 16-26|
|1 w/m over 45|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.31: YOUNG EDWARDS, JUN.
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 40-49||1 w/f 30-39|
1830 Slave Holder's List, Ashe Co., NC: YOUNG EDWARDS JR., 1 slave.
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.7: YOUNG EDWARDS JR.
|1 w/m 10-14||2 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 50-59||1 w/f 40-49|
Oct. 17, 1843. Heirs of Young EDWARDS, Sr. to Starlin TOLIVER, 100 acres on top of the Little Mountain adj. Jesse TOLIVER. Signed: Young (X) EDWARDS, Allen (X) EDWARDS, Richard (X) EDWARDS, & David (X) BURTON (attorney-in-fact for Richard BURTON, heirs of Samuel SCAT [SCOTT?], heirs of Edward EDWARDS & John EDWARDS dec'd.) Wits: Thomas C. DOUGLAS, Richard CHOATE. Proved Sept. 28, 1869. (Alleghany DB 1:380.)
Nov. 30, 1848. State of NC to Young EDWARDS, 46 acres in Ashe County on Little River & Brushy Fork adj. James SIMCOCK, Wm. EDWARDS, Morgan BRYAN & others. Entered May 20, 1843. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 3896, Folder No. 184.108.40.20611, Grant No. 4534, Book 154:258.)
Nov. 26, 1850. State of NC to Young EDWARDS, a tract of land in Ashe County on Little River adj. Benj. EDWARDS & James SIMCOCK. Entered May 22, 1848. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 3761, Folder No. 220.127.116.1175, Grant No. 4803, Book 153:439.)
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.250 (HH#180):
YOUNG EDWARDS, 69, NC
- -- Catherine, 58, NC
- -- Marga, 17, NC
- -- Sarah, 21, NC
- -- Amanda, 16, NC
Nov. 21, 1850. State of NC to Young EDWARDS, 36 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. Berry EDWARDS. Entered May 22, 1848. Reg. July 10, 1891. (Land Grant No. 4803; Alleghany DB 8:492.)
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
EDWARDS, Young, 70, farmer, $800, $400, NC
- -- Catherine, 67, VA
- PHILLIPS, Joseph, 25, laborer, NC
Jan. 2, 1864. Young EDWARDS to Isom EDWARDS, 3 tracts of land on the Little River and Brush Creek, for $1,000. 1st tract: 99 acres. 2nd tract: [no acreage stated] adj. Berry EDWARDS. 3rd tract: 49 ½ acres. Signed: Young (X) EDWARDS. Wits: Linville HIGGINS, D.C. STIMSON. (Alleghany DB 1:151.)