of Ashe County, NC
Daniel Fender, son of Nimrod FENDER & Sarah SUMERS, was born abt. 1791 in Surry Co., NC, and died 1866 in Yancey Co., NC. He married (1) Sallie, last name unknown (possibly GROCE or GROSS). She was born abt. 1790 in North Carolina and died between 1850-1860 probably in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (2) Linda Duncan, abt. 1841. She died bef. 1850 in Yancey Co., NC.
Children of Daniel Fender & Sallie:
- Nimrod Fender, b. abt. 1808, Surry Co., NC; d. 1860-1870 in Indiana; m. Elizabeth BILLON (b. abt. 1808; d. 1860-1870). They moved to Indiana about 1835.
- +Levi Fender, b. abt. 1812, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1865, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Jane EVANS, Mar. 21, 1833 (b. abt. 1811; d. aft. 1870).
- Sophia Fender, b. abt. 1815, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 1, 1886, Jackson Co., KY; m. William EASTRIDGE.
- Susannah Fender, b. abt. 1817, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1900 in TN; m. Ephraim EASTRIDGE.
- John W. Fender, b. Mar. 1817, Ashe Co., NC; d. Indiana; m. Susannah MEADOWS.
- Sarah R. Fender, b. abt. 1823, Ashe Co., NC; d. July 8, 1871, Yancey Co., NC; m. James WALKER.
- Isom Fender, b. abt. 1823, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 22, 1885, Yancey Co., NC; m. (1) Susan __, abt. 1848 (b. abt. 1823); m. (2) Neoma (Naomi) M. HENSLEY, July 3, 1853, Yancey Co., NC (b. abt. 1835; d. 1880-1881); m. (3) Martha CAIN, July 26, 1881, Yancey Co., NC; m. (4) Harriett RIDDLE, 1884.
- Wiley Fender, b. abt. 1825, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 21, 1933, Yancey Co., NC; m. (1) Lydia Jane TAFFEY (b. abt. 1833; d. aft. 1880); m. (2) Sarah RADFORD.
- John Allen Fender, b. abt. 1829, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 11, 1913, Madison Co., NC; m. Martha WILLIS or WILLIE, abt. 1849 (b. July 17, 1832; d. Mar. 2, 1890); m. (2) Harriet BAILEY, 1890 (d. Jan. 1930); m. (3) Susan BOOMER, Sept. 16, 1904 (b. abt. 1850, d. ?); bur. Holcombe Cemetery, Foster Creek, NC.
- Henry Fender, b. 1830, Ashe Co., NC.
- Nancy Fender, b. Feb. 15, 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. abt. 1907, Clay Co., KY; m. William BRACKEN, abt. 1849 (divorced 1852); m. (2) Isaac BAKER, 1870 (d.1884).
Children of Daniel Fender & Linda Duncan:
- John Andrew Fender, b. Sept. 15, 1842, Yancey Co., NC; d. Oct. 3, 1926, Pomona, CA; m. (1) Melinda TAFFER (b. Sept. 22, 1835; d. ?); m. (2) Amy Fraley RIPLEY, Mar 15, 1923 in CA.
- William Washington Fender, b. June 22, 1844, Yancey Co., NC; d. Feb. 14, 1902, Pomona, CA; m. Mary Elizabeth Frances NEWBERRY (b. June 4, 1845; d. Nov. 24, 1927).
- Mary Francine Fender, b. July 19, 1846, Yancey Co., NC.
aniel Fender was the second oldest son of Nimrod and Sarah Fender, and one of only two sons (the other was John Fender) who remained in North Carolina when most of the family moved west during the 1820's. Daniel Fender lived in Ashe County, NC, until the 1840's, when he relocated to Yancey County, NC. Some sources indicate that he divorced or separated from his first wife, Sallie, and married Linda DUNCAN about 1841; she died about 1848. Estate papers filed after Daniel Fender's death identify twelve children and three tracts of land in Yancey County on Ball Creek.
1810 Census, Ashe Co., NC: not listed.
1815 Tax List, Ashe Co., NC: DANIEL FENDER
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.28: DANIEL FENDOR
|2 w/m under 10||3 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 10-15||1 w/f 26-45|
|1 w/m 26-45|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.36: DANIEL FENDER
|3 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 5-9|
|2 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 40-49|
|1 w/m 40-49|
Nov. 30, 1835. State of NC to Daniel FENDER, 100 acres in Ashe County on Little River. Entered 1816. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, Folder No. 126.96.36.1996, Land Grant No. 2108.)
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p. 10: DANL. FENDER
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 5-9|
|2 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 50-59|
|1 w/m 40-49|
- 1850 Cenus, Yancey Co., NC, p.445:
DANIEL FENDER, 59, farmer, $300, NC
- -- John J., 8, NC
- -- William, 6, NC
- -- Mary, 4, NC
- Jane DUNCAN, 19, NC
Daniel and his wife Sallie were living separately in 1860. Daniel is listed in Yancey Co., NC; Sallie was living with their son Levi Fender in Alleghany Co., NC.
- 1860 Census, Yancey Co., NC, Egypt P.O., p.430
DANIEL FENDER, 71, farmer, $800, $1533, NC
- -- Mary, 14, NC
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.251 (HH#191):
LEVI FENDER, 38, farmer, NC
- -- Jane, 39, NC
- -- Center, 15, NC
- -- David, 14, NC
- -- Peggy, 12, NC
- -- Susan, 10, NC
- -- John, 8, NC
- -- Daniel, 4, NC
- -- Sally, 2, NC
- -- Sally, 60, NC
July 1862, Yancey Co., NC, Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions. Daniel FENDER, William BRADFORD and Fielden HENSLEY were appointed to lay off and allot a widow's allowance for Jane E. DUNCAN, widow of G.W. DUNCAN, deceased.
Oct. 28, 1866, Yancey Co., NC. Isham FENDER, administrator of the estate of DANIEL FENDER, deceased, filed an accounting of notes and money. Names mentioned include W.M. FENDER, Allen FENDER, Wiley FENDER, John A. FENDER, Isham FENDER, Sarah WALKER. (Yancey Co., NC, Settlements of Estates, Wills, Inventories, & Accounts, 1855-1869, Vol. 1a.)
Fall term, 1868. Daniel FENDER's heirs petitioned for the sale of his property because the land could not be effectively divided among twelve children. The papers note that Daniel Fender died intestate and without a wife. His twelve children are identified as Isom FENDER, Allen FENDER, Sarah R. WALKER, Levi FENDER, Nimrod FENDER, Sophia EASTERIDGE (wife of William EASTERIDGE), Susannah EASTERIDGE (wife of Ephraim EASTERIDGE), John FENDER, Henry FENDER, Wiley FENDER, William FENDER, and Nancy FENDER. Refers to three tracts of land on Ball Creek in the Egypt section of Yancey County. (NC Archives, Loose Estate Papers, Yancey Co., NC.)