Levi Fender &
Levi Fender, son of Daniel FENDER & Sallie GROCE(?), was born abt. 1812 in Ashe Co., NC, and died 1865 in Alleghany Co., NC (murdered). He married Jane Evans, Mar. 21, 1833. She was born abt. 1811 in North Carolina and died aft. 1880 in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Levi Fender & Jane Evans:
- Center Fender, b. abt. 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. July 16, 1862, Richmond, VA; m. Permelia (Amelia) SPURLIN, daughter of John SPURLIN & Mary WILLEY (b. abt. 1840; d. aft. 1880). Children: Rosa J. Fender (c.1857) m. George FIELDS; John Sumner Fender (1858) m. Sarah Ann CHEEK.
- Margaret "Peggy" Fender, b. 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 6, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Allen Young "Boss Al" EDWARDS, son of Richard "Dickie" EDWARDS & Edith BARTON (BURTON), Jan. 14, 1858, Ashe Co., NC (b. Feb. 25, 1833; d. May 31, 1908). Children: Matilda Edwards (c.1858), Sarah Jane Edwards (1860), Isaac F. Edwards (1865), Young Richard Edwards (c.1869), Martha Edwards (1870).
- David Fender, b. abt. 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1910-1920, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Phoebe WILES, abt. 1860 (b. abt. 1839; d. bef. 1900). Children: James Allen Fender (1865), Smith Fender (1872), John Fender (c.1875), Levi Wesley Fender (1863).
- Susannah (Susan) Fender, b. abt. 1840, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 20, 1897; m. John WILES, Feb. 9, 1867, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1832; d. ?); bur. David Duncan Cemetery, Rd. 1426, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Matilda Fender (b. bet. 1862-1865) m. Richard EVANS; George Wiles (c.1869), James Wiles (c.1871), Jane Wiles (c.1873), Susan Wiles (c.1874), Sallie Wiles (1880).
- John A. Fender, b. abt. 1842, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 17, 1907, Pottawattamie Co., IA; m. Millie DILLARD. Children: James Fender (1866), Willie Fender (1869).
- Daniel Fender, b. July 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1910-1920, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Candice ANDREWS, daughter of Lorenzo D. ANDREWS & Margaret CROUSE, June 24, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1844; d. 1888). Children: John W. Fender (1864), William P. Fender (c.1867), Stephen Solomon Fender (1872), Houston M. Fender (1877), Grover C. Fender (1885).
- Sarah "Sallie" Fender, b. abt. 1848, Ashe Co., NC; m. W. Franklin MCCURRY. Children: Sarah or Susan McCurry (c.1869), George Washington McCurry (c.1871), Monroe McCurry (c.1873), Allison McCurry (male, c.1877).
- William Fender, b. Sept. 1850, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1900-1910, pos. Grayson Co., VA; m. (1) Susannah Jane LANDRETH, daughter of David LANDRETH & Rachel WAGONER, July 29, 1866, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1850; d. 1870-1880); m. (2) Sarah "Sallie" RING, daughter of William RING, Apr. 23, 1880, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1859; d. 1910-1920). Children: David Fender (c.1868), Rosey Fender (c.1869), George P. Fender (c.1884), James Fender (c.1886), Andrew Fender (c.1891), Laura Fender (c.1891).
evi Fender was hanged by a gang of men in 1865 near Duncan Mill, Alleghany Co., NC, perhaps by "bushwhackers" (renegade Union soldiers) or perhaps by Confederate supporters for harboring a deserter. A number of suspected Union sympathizers were murdered in Alleghany County during this time period, including Chesley Cheek and Daniel Crouse. For more information, see the book Mountain Mourning by Cyrus Stoneman.
Levi Fender's heirs are identified in a petition filed about 1893 in the Alleghany County Court. They were: David Fender, William Fender, Daniel Fender, John Fender, Susan Wiles, Sally McCurry, Margaret Edwards wife of Allen Edwards, and Center Fender. The petition states that Margaret Edwards died in 1892 leaving her husband Allen Edwards and children Richard Edwards, I.F. Edwards, & Sarah J. Evans. Center Fender died in 186- leaving 2 children, John Fender, Jr., and Rosa Fender who subsequently intermarried with George Fields. The petition reveals that Levi Fender died about 1866 possessed of a large tract of land on Glade Creek adjoining the lands of A.B. Carson, Starlin Toliver, Shadrack Bryan, and others [not identified]. The land was partitioned after Levi Fender's death but "by mistake or otherwise", about 86 acres were not divided. The petitioners request that the court order that this land now be sold. (The deed for the sale of this land was subsequently recorded in Alleghany DB 10, p.308.)
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.251 (HH#191):
LEVI FENDER, 38, farmer, NC
- -- Jane, 39, NC
- -- Center, 15, NC
- -- David, 14, NC
- -- Peggy, 12, NC
- -- Susan, 10, NC
- -- John, 8, NC
- -- Daniel, 4, NC
- -- Sally, 2, NC
- -- Sally, 60, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.208/p.415
LEVI FENDER, 36, farmer, $3000, $950, NC
- -- Jane, 37, NC
- -- John, 17, laborer, NC
- -- Susan, 15, NC
- -- Daniel, 13, NC
- -- Sallie, 10, NC
- -- William, 8, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: L. FENDER, 150 acres improved land, 200 acres unimproved land, value of farm $3,000, value of farm implements $30, 5 horses, 0 asses/mules, 5 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 12 other cattle, 30 sheep, 25 swine, value of livestock $650. (Source: New River Notes)
July 30, 1862. Alleghany Co., NC. Levi FENDER was appointed Administrator of the estate of Henry CROUSE. Bondsman was Wilson REYNOLDS in the amount of $100.00.
1865. Levi Fender murdered by "bushwhackers."
Later census records for Levi's widow, Jane:
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp., p.249
JANE FENDER, 60, NC
- CURRY, Mack, 19, NC << this must be Franklin MCCURRY who m. Sarah FENDER
- -- Sarah, 18, NC
- -- Sarah, 1, NC
- -- Matilda, 5, NC <<probably Jane's granddaughter Matilda FENDER
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp., p.251:
JANE FENDER, 70, NC Unk. NC
- -- Matilda, granddau, 18, NC NC NC
Mar. 31, 1852. John FENDER & wife Patsy to Levi FENDER, 509 acres where the said Levi FENDER now lives, beg. on B.O. JOHNSON's line, adj. a ridge near Starling TOLIVER's fence, an old field, CARSON, FENDER, down a branch to a stake near said FENDER's house, the head of a branch, crossing Little River, a branch at CHOATE's corner, down said river, crossing said river, to the old line, for $550. Signed: John FENDER, Martha (X) FENDER. Wits: Solomon TOLIVER, Wm. T. CHOAT, Jurat. Proved May 25, 1895, by John CHOAT from Wm. T. CHOAT's handwriting, as John FENDER & Martha FENDER are both dead & the witnesses are both dead. Reg. May 29, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:192.)
Feb. 5, 1855. State of NC to Levi FENDER, 87 acres in Ashe County on the Little River. Entered Feb. 23, 1852. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 4635, Folder No. 184.108.40.20602, Grant No. 3302, Book 160:180-181.)
- Sept. 21, 1866. Partition of lands of Levi FENDER, dec'd. Signed: Alleghany County Commiss'rs Hugh HANKS, A.B. CARSON, Starling TOLIVER, Francis BRYAN, & Morgan BRYAN. Recorded Oct. term 1866. (Alleghany DB 1:197.)
- -- Lot No. 1 to John FENDER, 50 acres adj. CARSON's line, excepting one mill
- -- Lot No. 2, to William FENDER, 80 acres adj. Lot No. 1
- -- Lot No. 3 to Susan FENDER, 80 acres adj. Lot No. 2
- -- Lot No. 4 to Daniel FENDER, 70 acres adj. Lot No. 3
- -- Lot No. 5 to David FENDER, 60 acres adj. Lot No. 4
- -- Lot No. 6 to the heirs of Center FENDER, 100 acres adj. HUDSON's line, Little River, and Lot No. 5
- -- Lot No. 7 to Allen EDWARDS and his wife Margaret, 50 acres
- -- Lot No. 8 to Sarah FENDER, 73.5 acres adj. Lot No. 7
Feb. 15, 1871. John FENDER & wife Milly of Hardin Co., IA, to W.A.J. FOWLKES, power of attorney to sell John FENDER's interest in the estate of his father Levi FENDER, being a 50 acre tract of land in the southwest corner of a 400 acre tract known as the Levi FENDER Estate. Said 50 acre tract bounded by William FENDER, Jane FENDER, Andy CARSON, & lands belonging to the estate of Wm. SPURLIN. Also an interest in a small estate of Daniel FENDER the grandfather of John FENDER. Signed: John (X) FENDER, Milly (X) FENDER. Wits: Benjamin COX, J.H. KING. Proved Feb. 15, 1871, in Hardin Co., IA (ack'd); J.M. BOYD, Clerk, Dist. Court, Hardin Co., IA. (Alleghany DB 1:461.)
Aug. 30, 1871. W.F. MCCURRY & wife Sarah to Daniel FENDER, $100 bond, to be void if W.F. & Sarah MCCURRY make a good & lawful deed for 1/8 part of the lands & other property of Jane FENDER widow of Levi FENDER, dec'd, upon the death of Jane FENDER. Signed: W.F. MCCURRY, Sarah (X) MCCURRY. Wit: B.H. EDWARDS. Proved Aug. 30, 1871 (ack'd). Bond cancelled Sept. 8, 1875. (Alleghany DB 2:29.)
Sept. 22, 1873. William FENDER & wife Jane, John WILES & wife Susan, Daniel FENDER & wife Candis, David FENDER & his wife [name not given], Franklin MCCURRY & wife Sally, & Rosamond FENDER & John FENDER minor heirs of Center FENDER, dec'd, whose guardian is Jackson SPURLIN, to Franklin DUNCAN, for $75, all their right title & interest in the mills known as the Fender Mills on Little River which we the above named parties have from our father Levi FENDER, dec'd. Signed: William (X) FENDER, David (X) FENDER, W.F. MCCURRY, Sallie MCCURRY. Wit: B.H. EDWARDS. Proved Feb. 2, 1874, by Wm. F. MCCURRY & Sally MCCURRY. (Alleghany DB 2:252.)
Jan. 16, 1875. Daniel FENDER & wife Candis, William FENDER & wife Jane, David FENDER & wife Phebe, and W.F. MCCURRY & wife Sarah to Allen EDWARDS, for $160, their interest in a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] allotted to Jane FENDER widow of Levi FENDER as dower, adj. DUNCAN, CARSON, HUDSON, David FENDER. Signed: Daniel FENDER, Candis (X) FENDER, David (X) FENDER, Phebe (X) FENDER, William FENDER, Susan Jane (X) FENDER, W.F. MCCURRY, Sally (X) MCCURRY. Wit: Levi HUDSON. Proved June 16, 1875, & Feb. 3, 1877 (ack'd). Reg. Feb. 8, 1878. (Alleghany DB 3:481.)
Aug. 8, 1878. John WILES & wife Susan to Allen EDWARDS, all their interest in a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] formerly alloted to Jane FENDER widow of Levi FENDER as dower, adj. DUNCAN, CARSON, HUDSON, Daniel FENDER, for $65.50. Signed: John WILES, Susan (X) WILES. Wit: W.C. FIELDS. Proved Aug. 8, 1878 (ack'd); W.E. HARDIN, J.P. Reg. Nov. 29, 1878. (Alleghany DB 4:145.)
Oct. 19, 1895. R.A. DOUGHTON, Comm'r, to J.L. HACKLER, 63 acres on Glade Creek adj. David FENDER, A.B. CARSON, & others, for $5 per acre, being land which Levi FENDER died seized of, sold by court order on petition of David FENDER & others. Signed: R.A. DOUGHTON. Wit: L.W. FENDER. Proved Oct. 21, 1895. Reg. Oct. 22, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:308.)