Hardin Reeves &
Hardin Reeves, son of Jesse REEVES & Margaret "Peggy" COX, was born Oct. 11, 1816, and died May 7, 1903, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Frances "Frankie" Toliver, daughter of Solomon TOLIVER & Margaret Ann BLEVINS. She was born Dec. 6, 1827, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Oct. 3, 1895 in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Hardin Reeves & Frances "Frankie" Toliver:
- Joshua Reeves, b. abt. 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1916, Grayson Co., VA; m. Martha EVANS, daughter of David EVANS & Elizabeth WILES, May 9, 1880, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1858; d. aft. 1930).
- +Margaret Ann Reeves, b. May 17, 1848, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 24, 1918, in Alleghany Co., NC; m. Meredith CHEEK, son of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances CROUSE, Mar. 3, 1876, in Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 10, 1843; d. Aug. 17, 1924); bur. Meredith Cheek Cemetery, Rd. 1412 north of 1413, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Cleveland E. Reeves, b. Mar. 1850, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1930, Grayson Co., VA; m. Sophia BLEVINS, daughter of Samuel BLEVINS & Nancy COX of Grayson Co., VA, Jan. 28, 1878, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 17, 1849; d. aft. 1930).
- Solomon Toliver Reeves, b. Feb. 25, 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 28, 1936, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Flora WINGATE, daughter of Elijah WINGATE & Catherine WINGATE, June 13, 1897, Grayson Co., VA (b. Dec. 1873; d. 1910-1920); m. (2) Maggie SPURLIN, abt. 1928 (b. May 5, 1878; d. Feb. 4, 1953).
- Melvin Reeves, b. abt. 1858, Ashe Co., NC.
- James Pettigrew Johnson Reeves, b. Sept. 7, 1862, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 31, 1943, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Melinda (Malinda) EVANS, daughter of David EVANS & Elizabeth WILES, Feb. 21, 1889, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 7, 1860; d. Apr. 12, 1909); bur. David Evans Cemetery, Rd. 1405, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Elizabeth Reeves, b. July 7, 1866, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 28, 1947, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Andrew J. EDWARDS, son of Center (Senter) EDWARDS & Mary Jane CHOATE, Feb. 14, 1886, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 20, 1861; d. Jan. 8, 1942); bur. Sparta Memorial Park, Alleghany Co., NC.
ardin Reeves was the son of Jesse REEVES and Margaret "Peggy" COX, and a grandson of Joshua McGowan COX & Ruth OSBORNE of Bridle Creek, Grayson County, VA. The Cox Family in America by H.M. Cox (1912), p.56, states that Hardin Reeves' father was named George (not Jesse) Reeves. However, the death certificate of Hardin's sister Cynthia Reeves Cox (wife of Cloyd Cox) states that her father was named Jesse Reeves.
A deed recorded in Alleghany County, NC, in 1859 (Alleghany DB 1:182) also proves that Hardin Reeves was a son of Jesse Reeves. In the deed, the heirs of Jesse Reeves, who are identified as Hardin Reeves, George D. Reeves, Joshua Reeves, Enoch C. Reeves, Isom Reeves, Cynthia the wife of Cloyd Cox, and Jane Doughton, conveyed 300 acres on the New River at the Virginia line to Charles H. Doughton [their step-father] for $2,500.
Hardin's father Jesse Reeves (c.1795-) was the son of George REEVES, Jr., and Jane OSBORNE of Grayson County, VA. He should not be confused with his uncle Jesse Reeves, born about 1760, who died testate in Ashe County, NC, in 1833. The younger Jesse Reeves and his wife Peggy Cox were first cousins on the Osborne side (both were grandchildren of Enoch Osborne and Jane Hash). The Reeves, Osborne, Cox, and Hash families were all early settlers in the Upper New River Valley region.
Jan. 22, 1846. George BOWER, Clerk & Master of Ashe Co., NC, to Hardin REEVES, 30 acres on New River & Fighting Creek, for $107. Sold by court order on petition A.B. MCMILLAN & other tenants in common for purposes of partition. Signed: George BOWER, Clerk & Master. Proved by C.H. DOUGHTON from George BOWER's signature [no date]. (Alleghany DB 7:236.)
Dec. 26, 1846. State of NC to Hardin REEVES, 100 acres in Ashe County on Big Pine Creek, top of the Blue Ridge, crossing said creek to the bank of a branch. Entered June 20, 1843. (Land Grant No. 4327.) (Alleghany DB 7:313, 8:570.)
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.249:
HARDIN REEVES, age 30, farmer, $650, NC
- -- Franky, 25, NC
- -- Joshua, 5, NC
- -- Margaret, 2, NC
- -- Cleveland, 4 mos., NC
Sept. 20, 1856. Hardin REEVES was bondsman for the marriage of Horton REEVES and Nancy ALEXANDER is Ashe Co., NC.
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.,
HARDIN REEVES, 43, farmer, $1600, $600, NC
- -- Franky, 33, NC
-- Joshua, 13, NC
-- Cleveland, 10, NC
-- Peggy A., 12, NC
-- Solomon, 8, NC
-- Melvin, 2, NC
Dec. 27, 1859. Hardin REEVES, Geo. D. REEVES, Joshua REEVES, Enoch C. REEVES, Isom REEVES, Cloyd COX & wife Cynthia, & Jane DOUGHTON; heirs at law & legal representatives of Jesse REEVES, dec'd; to Charles H. DOUGHTON, their undivided interest in 300 acres on New River where DOUGHTON now lives, beg. on the bank of New River, adj. a cond'l line made between William REEVES & James HAWTHORN, to TOLIVER's line, DOUGHTON's own line, & the Virginia line, for $2,500. Signed: Cloyd COX, Cynthia COX, Hardin REEVES, Joshua REEVES, E.C. REEVES, Jane DOUGHTON, Geo. D. REEVES, Isom (X) REEVES. Wits: Jno. T. HAWTHORN, D.L. SMITH, F.S. DOUGHTON. (Alleghany DB 1:182.)
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: HARDIN REEVES, 110 acres improved land, 125 acres unimproved land, value of farm $1,600, value of farm implements $20, 3 horses, 0 asses/mules, 5 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 4 other cattle, 25 sheep, 25 swine, value of livestock $450. (Source: New River Notes)
Dec. 28, 1867. Hardin REEVES & wife Franky and other heirs of Solomon Toliver were party to three deeds recorded in Alleghany Co., NC (DB 3:336, 5:500, 7:120). For more information see notes under Solomon Toliver.
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
HARDIN REEVES, age 50, farmer, NC
- -- Frances, 42, NC
-- Joshua, 23, NC
-- Peggy, 21, NC
-- Cleveland, 20, NC
-- Solomon, 14, NC
-- Melvin, 12, NC
-- Johnson, 8, NC
-- Elizabeth, 4, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
HARDIN REEVES, 62, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Francis, 52, wife, NC NC NC
-- Joshua, 32, son, " " "
-- Solomon, 21, son, " " "
-- Melvin, 18, son, " " "
-- Johnson P., 15, son, " " "
-- Bettie, 12, dau, " " "
TOLIVER, Margaret, 80, mother in law, NC NC VA
1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp. (Solimon Reeves, HH#202):
Hardin REEVES, father, born May 1816, age 84, NC NC NC