Lorenzo D. Andrews
& Margaret Crouse
Lorenzo D. Andrews (Anders), son of William ANDREWS, Jr., & Abi CHEEK, was born 1813 in Orange Co., NC, and died 1890 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Margaret Crouse, daughter of Jacob CROUSE & Sarah EDWARDS, abt. 1833. She was born Nov. 26, 1813, in Ashe Co., NC, and died May 3, 1907, in Alleghany Co., NC. Margaret (Crouse) Andrews is buried at the Mountain View Baptist Church in Alleghany Co., NC. The location of Lorenzo D. Andrews' grave is unknown.
Children of Lorenzo D. Andrews & Margaret Crouse:
- Sarah Andrews, b. Aug. 20, 1834, Ashe Co., NC, d. May 14, 1914, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Calvin EDWARDS, son of Richard "Dickie" EDWARDS & Edith BARTON (BURTON), abt. 1861 (b. June 2, 1835; d. Oct. 19, 1883) bur. Mustering Ground Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Margaret Edwards (c.1857), Melvina Edwards (1861), Media Ann Edwards (1866), Cora Edwards (1866), Rena Evaline Edwards (1869), Phebe Edwards (c.1871), Sarah E. Edwards (c.1873), Doctor McClain (McClellan) Edwards (1877).
- Abitha "Aby" Andrews, b. Apr. 4, 1836, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 15, 1932, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Absalom Marion SMITH, son of Thomas SMITH & Polly SIMMONS, abt. 1854 (b. Apr. 7, 1830; d. June 20, 1914); bur. Antioch Methodist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Margaret Smith (c.1854), Joel D. Smith (c.1855), Thomas Smith (c.1857), Mary Smith (c.1859), Frances Smith (c.1862), James M. Smith (c.1863), Shadrack Sheridan Smith (c.1865), Martha Smith (c.1867), Robert J. Smith (c.1870), Martha E. Smith (c.1872), Phoebe A. Smith (c.1873), Lula B. Smith (c.1879).
- James Monroe Andrews, b. abt. 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 28, 1863, Morris Island, SC (Civil War); m. Mary Ann WAGONER, daughter of Jacob WAGONER & Margaret ANDREWS, abt. 1859 (b. Feb. 28, 1840; d. aft. 1880). Children: Lorenzo W. Andrews (1860), James Andrews (c.1862).
- Candice (Candis) Andrews, b. abt. 1844, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1888, Grayson Co., VA; m. Daniel FENDER, son of Levi FENDER & Jane EVANS, June 24, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC (b. July 1845; d. 1910-1920, Mills Co., IA). Children: John W. Fender (1864), William P. Fender (c.1867), Stephen Solomon Fender (1872), Houston M. Fender (1877), Grover C. Fender (1885).
- Charles M. Andrews, b. abt. 1850, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1896, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Phebe BAUGUS, daughter of Thomas BAUGUS & Beulah HIGGINS, Aug. 26, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 1854; d. aft. 1910, Surry Co., NC?). Children: Margaret Andrews (c.1873), Thomas Andrews (c.1875), Ettie Andrews (c.1877), Bula (Beulah) Andrews (1879).
- William W. Andrews, b. Nov. 27, 1851, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 18, 1907, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Celia Jane EDWARDS, daughter of John E. EDWARDS & Delilah Jane HIGGINS, Sept. 11, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 31, 1853; d. Aug. 31, 1932); bur. Mountain View Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Phillip M. Andrews (c.1877), Gilbert H. Andrews (c.1878).
- Wesley Burris Andrews, b. June 20, 1855, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 13, 1923, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Theodocia "Dasha" CROUSE, daughter of John CROUSE & Christina WAGONER, Nov. 17, 1874, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 15, 1857; d. Oct. 18, 1945); bur. Wesley Andrews Cemetery, Rd. 1425, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Olivia Jane Andrews (c.1875), Callie Andrews (1880), Fina Andrews (c.1884), Frances Andrews (c.1886), James Mack Andrews (1890) m. Frances EDWARDS, Blaine F. Andrews (1892), John Grady Andrews (1894), Floyd R. Andrews (c.1901).
orenzo D. Andrews was probably named after the famous itinerant preacher Lorenzo Dow (1777-1834), who traveled throughout the United States holding revival meetings in the early 1800's. For a time, "Lorenzo" became one of the most popular first names in America. Lorenzo D. ANDREWS was born in 1813 at the height of Lorenzo Dow's fame.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.243 (HH#81):
LORENSA ANDERS, age 38, farmer, $600, NC
- -- Margaret, 38, NC
-- Sarah, 16, NC
-- Aby, 14, NC
-- James, 12, NC
-- Candis, 6, NC
CROUSE, Sarah, 70, NC
Oct. 1, 1852. Lorenza ANDREWS witnessed a deed from Jesse P. CAUDILL to Absolom M. SMITH. (Alleghany DB 7:273.)
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.417 (HH#521):
LORENSA ANDERS, 47, farmer, $1000, $900, NC
- -- Margaret, 46, NC
-- Candis, 15, NC
-- Charles M., 10, NC
-- William W., 8, NC
-- Wesley V., 5, NC
KROWS, Sarah, 83, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: L. ANDERS, 100 acres improved land, 79 acres unimproved land, cash value of farm $1000, value of farm implements $100, 5 horses, 0 asses/mules, 4 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 8 other cattle, 13 sheep, 12 swine, value of livestock $655. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
L.D. ANDERS, 60, farmer, NC
- -- Margarett, 50, keeps house, NC
- -- Wesley, 14, at home
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.,
LORANZY ANDERS, 55, NC NC NC, farming
- -- Margarett, 53, NC NC NC
Note: their ages are about 10 years off in the 1880 census.
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
WILLIAM W. ANDERS, Nov. 1851, age 48, m. 25 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Celie J., Mar. 1853, age 47, m. 25 yrs, 4 children born/3 living, NC NC NC
- -- Margarette, mother, Nov. 1813, age 86, 9 children born/4 living, NC NC NC
July 17, 1875. L.D. ANDERS to Wesley Buras ANDERS, 98 acres on east bank of Little River adj. a branch, my old north line, & Rattlesnake Den Hollow, for $300; reserving to myself a lifetime right. Signed: L.D. ANDERS. Wits: Wm. H. JOINES, J.W. DUNCAN. Proved Oct. 19, 1875 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:283, 10:327.)
July 17, 1875. L.D. ANDERS to Charles M. ANDERS, 98 acres on east bank of Little River adj. a branch & my old north line, for $300. Signed: L.D. ANDERS. Wits: Wm. H. JOINES, J.W. DUNCAN. Proved Oct. 19, 1875 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:284.)
Dec. 5, 1887. L.D. ANDERS to W.B. ANDERS, quit claim of life estate reserved in deed dated July 17, 1875, in consideration of which he will support & take care of me with his family. Signed: L.D. ANDERS. Wit: W.C. FIELDS. Proved Dec. 7, 1895, by W.C. FIELDS. Reg. Dec. 7, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:329.)