of Ashe County, NC
Starling Andrews (Anders), son of William ANDREWS, Sr., & Mary LLOYD(?), was born 1780-1785 in Orange Co., NC, and died after 1830, maybe in Ashe Co., NC. He may have married Catherine CHEEK or Elizabeth WILLIAMS (sources conflict).
Children of Starling Andrews:
- Jane Andrews, b. Jan. 15, 1813, Orange Co., NC; d. Nov. 4, 1898, Benton Co., AR; m. David EDWARDS, son of Richard Clifford EDWARDS, Sr., & Mary "Polly" FENDER, Dec. 10, 1835, Ashe Co., NC (b. Nov. 25, 1816; d. Feb. 1, 1911); bur. Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Benton Co., AR.
- Thomas Andrews (Anders), b. 1814, Orange Co., NC; d. 1885, Grayson Co., VA; m. Sarah RICHARDSON, abt. 1834 (b. 1814, d. 1888); bur. Anders Family Cemetery near Brush Creek Baptist Church, Grayson Co., VA. Inv. of his estate filed July 25, 1885; final accounting filed Apr. 15, 1887 by his executor Osborn ANDERS (Grayson WB 6, pp.472, 558.) Note, some sources claim Thomas was actually a son of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK. Children: James Jasper Andrews (c.1835), Newton Andrews (c.1838), Celia Andrews (1838), Martha "Patsy" Andrews (c.1841), Osborne Andrews (1843), Floyd Stephen Andrews (1845), Elizabeth Andrews (c.1848), William Henry Andrews (c.1850), Abraham Andrews (c.1854), Melvin (Melville) Andrews (1855), Elbert Andrews (1857), Mary Andrews (b. & d.1856), Peggy A. Andrews (1861).
- +Sandy Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1820, Orange Co., NC; d. bef. March 1866; m. Sarah "Sally" MONCUS, abt. 1841 (b. abt. 1822; d. aft. 1880). Note, some sources claim Sandy was actually a son of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK.
- Henry Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1828, Orange Co., NC; d. aft. 1900, Grayson Co., VA; m. Julia Ann HALL, Nov. 12, 1854, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1825; d. aft. 1900). Children: Thomas Andrews (c.1843), Andrew Jackson Andrews (c.1853), Margaret Frances Andrews (c.1856), Mary Ann "Polly" Andrews (1858).
- +Alfred Andrews (Anders), b. July 13, 1830; d. Aug. 29, 1910, Grayson Co., VA; m. (1) Phoebe Jane "Jennie" BLEVINS, daughter of Thomas Jefferson BLEVINS & Phoebe WOODRUFF, June 4, 1854, in Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1834, d. June 1870); m. (2) Rebecca KING, daughter of William & Zilpha KING, abt. 1871 (b. Sept. 30, 1849; d. Aug. 23, 1909); bur. Andrews Cemetery a.k.a. Kemper Andrews Farm, Rd. 632, Baywood, Grayson Co., VA. Note, some sources claim Alfred was actually a son of James Carr ANDREWS but based on census records he does not fit with James Carr Andrews' family.
- Margaret "Peggy" Andrews, b. abt. 1831, Ashe Co., NC. She might be the Margaret ANDREWS who m. Granville BILLINGS (son of Charles & Lydia BILLINGS?), June 16, 1853, Ashe Co., NC, but if so, they appear to have separated by 1860.
- Jackson Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1836, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1880 in Phillips Co., KS; m. Nancy RICHARDSON, daughter of Henry RICHARDSON & Mahala EDWARDS, Dec. 7, 1856, Ashe Co., NC (b. May 22, 1838; d. aft. 1880, Phillips Co., KS). Living in Holt Co., MO, in 1880.
tarling Andrews (Anders) is named in the will of his father, William Andrews, Sr., of Orange County, NC. Otherwise, there is very little information about Starling, and the available family trees are conflicting. In particular, some sources state that Thomas and Sandy Andrews/Anders were actually sons of Starling's brother John Andrews & Mary Cheek.
According to Alleghany County Heritage (Alleghany County Hist.-Gen. Soc., 1983), p.68, article No. 108 by Clarice Fender, "Starlin" Andrews' wife was Catherine CHEEK. However, I've also seen Starling's wife identified as Elizabeth WILLIAMS. Clearly, more research is needed.
1810 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.136: S. ANDREWS
|1 w/m 26-45||b. 1765-1784 = Starling Andrews|
|2 w/f under 10||b. 1800-1810 = 2 unknown daughters|
|1 w/f 16-25||b. 1784-1796 = Starling's wife|
Dec. 5, 1818. He might be the Starling ANDREWS who obtained a land grant in Montgomery Co., NC, for 600 acres on Woodrun Creek. Entered Apr. 14, 1818; issued Dec. 5, 1818. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2202, Folder No. 126.96.36.1992, Grant No. 2531, Book 133:100.)
1820 Census: not listed
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.37: STARLIN ANDREWS
|1 w/m under 5||b. 1825-1830 = Henry (c.1828)|
|2 w/m 5-9||b. 1820-1825 = Sandy (c.1820) & 1 unknown son|
|1 w/m 15-19||b. 1810-1815 = Thomas (1814)|
|1 w/m 40-49||b. 1780-1790 = Starling Andrews|
|1 w/f 10-14||b. 1815-1820 = 1 unknown|
|1 w/f 15-19||b. 1810-1815 = Jane (1813)|
|2 w/f 20-29||b. 1800-1810 = 2 unknown daughters|
|1 w/f 30-39||b. 1790-1800 = Starling's wife|
1840 Census: not listed
1850 and later: Starling is not listed in the 1850 census and was presumably deceased by that time. His sons(?) Sandy Anders and Thomas Anders were both married by 1850 and are listed in the census in their own households in Grayson Co., VA. Starling's widow (perhaps a 2nd wife?) might be the Patsy Anders in the 1850 Census of Ashe Co., NC, with children(?) Peggy (age 19), Alfred (19) and Jackson (14). Ten years later, the same Patsy Anders is listed in the 1860 census in Grayson Co., VA, next door to Sandy Anders. Note that there is a Margaret/Peggy living with Patsy in both 1850 and 1860 (Peggy was a common nickname for Margaret). She may be the Margaret Andrews who married Granville BILLINGS on June 16, 1853, in Ashe Co., NC, but they seem to have separated before 1860.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.250 (HH#182):
PATSY ANDERS, 59, NC
- -- Peggy, 19, NC <<m. Granville BILLINGS, June 16, 1853
- -- Alfred, 19, NC <<maybe a son of Starling Anders
- -- Jackson, 14, NC <<believed to be a son of Starling Anders
- CROWS, Sarah, 19, NC
- 1860 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Peach Bottom P.O., p.186 (HH#16) (next door to Sandy Andrews):
PATSY ANDREWS, 70, NC
- -- Margaret, 29, NC
- -- William, 6, NC