Thomas Jefferson Blevins
& Phebe Woodruff
Thomas Jefferson Blevins, son of John BLEVINS & Catherine COX, was born Nov. 18, 1804, in Grayson Co., VA, and died Sept. 1834, Grayson Co., VA. He married Phebe Woodruff, daughter of John Allen WOODRUFF & Jane MCBRIDE. She was born abt. 1809 in Ashe Co., NC, and died aft. 1880 in Grayson Co., VA.
Children of Thomas J. Blevins & Phebe Woodruff:
- +Catherine "Katie" Blevins, b. Jan. 17, 1831, Grayson Co., VA; d. 1903, Grayson Co., VA; m. John ANDREWS (ANDERS), son of James Carr ANDREWS & Elizabeth CROUSE, abt. 1848 (b. Nov. 10, 1829; d. Aug. 22, 1899); bur. Andrews Cemetery, a.k.a. Kemper Andrews Farm, Rd. 632, Baywood, Grayson Co., VA.
- +Phoebe Jane Blevins, b. abt. 1834, Grayson Co., VA; d. June 1870, Grayson Co., VA; m. Alfred ANDREWS, possibly a son of Starling ANDREWS, June 4, 1854, Ashe Co., NC (b. July 13, 1830; d. Aug. 29, 1910); bur. Herman Willey Farm, Grayson Co., VA.
Children of Phebe Woodruff & Unknown:
- Lucy Blevins, b. abt. 1840, Grayson Co., VA. Possibly the Lucinda Blevins who m. Phillip KIRBY, Oct. 16, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Sarah Ann Blevins, b. abt. 1842, Grayson Co., VA; d. July 6, 1855, Grayson Co., VA.
1830 Census, Grayson Co., VA, p.247: JEFFERSON
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f under 5|
|2 slaves||1 w/f 20-29|
May 1832. Phebe Blevins is named in the will of her father John Allen WOODRUFF. (Ashe Co., NC, Will Book B, pp.36-37).
Oct. 1834. The inventory of the estate of Jefferson BLEVINS, deceased, was filed in the Grayson County Court. (Source: "Grayson County, Virginia Wills 1793-1849" on New River Notes.)
Further listings for this family:
1840 Census, Grayson Co., VA, p.325: PHEBA BLEVINS
|1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/f 5-9|
|2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/f 30-39|
- 1850 Census, Grayson Co., VA, p.223 (HH#882) (next
door to Sandy & Sarah Andrews, HH#883)
PHEBE BLEVINS, 41, VA
- -- Jane, 16, VA
- -- Lucy, 10, VA
- -- Sarah Ann, 8, VA
Note: it does not appear that Thomas Jefferson Blevins, who died in 1834, could be the father of Lucy (b. 1840) or Sarah Ann (b. 1842).
July 6, 1855. Grayson Co., VA, Death Records 1853-1870: Susan daughter of Jefferson and Pheby BLEVINS, age 12 years 6 months, died of "dropsy." Death reported by Sarah ANDERS, neighbor.
- 1860 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Peach Bottom P.O., p.186
PHEBE BLEVINS, 50, NC
- -- Lucy, 19, VA
1880 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Old Town Dist. (John Andrews, HH#251): Phebe Blevins, mother-in-law [age smudged]