James Carr Andrews
& Elizabeth Crouse
James Carr Andrews (Anders), son of John ANDREWS & Mary CHEEK, was born Dec. 24, 1802, in Orange Co., NC; and died Oct. 2, 1893, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Elizabeth Crouse, daughter of Jacob CROUSE & Sarah EDWARDS. She was born Apr. 29, 1809, in Ashe Co., NC, and died May 14, 1887, in Alleghany Co., NC. James and Elizabeth (Crouse) Andrews are buried at the James Andrews Cemetery, Road 1428, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of James Carr Andrews & Elizabeth Crouse:
- +Sarah Andrews, b. Jan. 1826, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 12, 1914, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Meredith CHEEK, son of Richard CHEEK & Jane "Jennie" ANDREWS, abt. 1845 (b. May 1823; d. Nov. 12, 1903); bur. Nichols Cemetery, Rd. 1121, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +John Andrews, b. Nov. 10, 1829, Orange Co., NC; d. Aug. 22, 1899, Grayson Co., VA; m. Catherine BLEVINS, daughter of Thomas Jefferson BLEVINS & Phebe WOODRUFF, abt. 1848 (b. Jan. 17, 1831; d. 1903); bur. Andrews Cemetery, a.k.a. Kemper Andrews Farm, Rd. 632, Baywood, Grayson Co., VA.
- +Candice Andrews, b. Jan. 1, 1830, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sep. 20, 1811, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William H. JOINES, son of Ezekiel JOINES & Pheraby CAUDILL, Aug. 7, 1853, Ashe Co., NC (b. Oct. 17, 1828; d. Jan. 25, 1911); bur. Zion Primitive Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Mary "Polly" Andrews, b. Jan. 25, 1834, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 13, 1913, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John R. COX, son of David COX, Jr., & Lucy REEVES, Nov. 27, 1853, Ashe Co., NC (b. Jan. 20, 1821; d. June 3, 1898); bur. J.R. Cox Cemetery, Rd. 1411, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Henry Andrews, b. abt. 1835, Ashe Co., NC.
- Matilda Andrews, b. May 4, 1839, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 11, 1905, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Commodore H. COLLINS, son of Mahlon COLLINS & Effie HAYS, Dec. 24, 1857, Ashe Co., NC (b. June 28, 1836; d. Dec. 7, 1905); bur. Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Mitchell G. Collins (1859), Martin Kennie Collins (1861), Mahlon Leander Collins (1863), Sarah L. Collins (1866), William Hayes Collins (c.1869), James B. Collins (1871), Etta L. Collins (c.1875), John Mack Collins (c.1879), Mary E. Collins (1881).
- Abiah "Aby" Andrews, b. Mar. 5, 1841, Ashe Co., NC; d. May 28, 1924, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Enos RECTOR, son of James RECTOR & Ruth SWINDLE, Feb. 15, 1858, Ashe Co., NC (b. May 22, 1832; d. Oct. 23, 1900); bur. Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Thomas Preston Rector (1859), Betty E. Rector (1862), Sarah C. Rector (1868), Laura Ennice Rector (1870) m. Andrew D. RICHARDSON.
- Blevins Andrews, b. abt. 1842, Ashe Co., NC.
- Burris Andrews, b. Mar. 1844, Ashe Co., NC, d. Dec. 17, 1930, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Lucy Jane DOUGHERTY, July 8, 1875, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 5, 1854; d. May 19, 1947); bur. James Andrews Cemetery, Rd. 1428 near Zion Church, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Etta Andrews (c.1875), William Andrews (c.1877), Letcher Andrews (1879), Sarah Andrews (1884), Manlon Andrews (c.1886), Pearl Andrews (c.1889), Bettie Andrews (c.1891), Platt Andrews (c.1895), Ruth Andrews (c.1900), Grace Andrews (c.1904).
- James Andrews, Jr., b. abt. 1847, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1859, Alleghany Co., NC; bur. James Andrews Cemetery, Road 1428, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Martin Andrews, b. Mar. 22, 1848, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 11, 1927, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah Catherine HIGGINS, daughter of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS, abt. 1868 (b. July 8, 1848; d. Feb. 11, 1925); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Laura Alice Andrews (1869) m. William Horton WOODRUFF; Emmett C. Andrews (1871), John R. Andrews (1874), James Mack Andrews (1877), Mary Caroline Andrews (1880), Reeves Preston Andrews (1886) m. Minnie Lee JENNINGS; Etta (Effie) Andrews (1892).
- Caroline Andrews, b. abt. 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 11, 1933, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Squire Jackson IRWIN, son of William M. IRWIN & Nancy ANDREWS, Oct. 10, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1847; d. 1917); bur. Squire Irwin Cemetery, Road 1114, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Mack McCoy Irwin (1871), Laura Ellen Irwin (1875), Rosa Irwin (1877), John Preston "Press" Irwin (1880), Jennie Irwin (1882), Candace Irwin (1886), Alice Irwin (1888), Ollie Irwin (1898), Celia Irwin (1900; d. young).
ames Carr Andrews and his family lived on the Little River in Alleghany County, NC, near their cousin William Andrews/Anders, Jr., and William's son Orpha Anders. (See Alleghany DB 9:342). James and his wife Elizabeth are buried at the James Andrews Cemetery in Alleghany Co., NC, located on Road 1428, 2 miles east of the Chestnut Grove Baptist Church. (Alleghany County Cemeteries Through 1986 pub. by the Alleghany Co. Hist-Gen. Society.)
James "ANDERS" wrote his will on June 9, 1890, and it was recorded Oct. 30, 1893, in Alleghany County, NC. The will refers to a 51-acre farm on the Little River and 9 children who are not identified by name. The estate file, however, shows that his estate was distributed to his heirs Burrus ANDREWS, Martin ANDREWS, John ANDREWS, Sally CHEEK, Candace JOINES, Polly COX, Matilda COLLINS, Abiah RECTOR and Carolina IRWIN. His son-in-law Commodore Collins was the executor. (Alleghany WB A, pp.147-148; NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.1)
The 51-acre tract mentioned in the will was probably the same 51 acres that James Anders purchased from Henry Woodruff on Sept. 1, 1855 (Ashe DB 20:93).
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: JAMES ANDREWS
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 40-40|
Note: the above census entry could be James Carr Andrews with his mother and two younger siblings. John Andrews is missing from the 1830 census for some reason.
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.29: JAS ANDERS
|1 w/m 5-9||b. 1830-1835 = Henry (c.1835)|
|1 w/m 10-14||b. 1825-1830 = John (1829)|
|1 w/m 30-39||b. 1790-1800 = James (1802)|
|1 w/f under 5||b. 1835-1840 = Matilda (1839)|
|2 w/f 5-9||b. 1830-1835 = Candice (1830) & Mary (1834)|
|1 w/f 10-14||b. 1825-1830 = Sarah (1826)|
|1 w/f 20-29||b. 1800-1810 = Elizabeth (1809)|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.246 (HH#127):
JAMES ANDERS, 49, farmer, $200, born in NC
- -- Elizabeth, 41, NC
-- Candis, 19, NC
-- Polly, 17, NC
-- Henry, 15, NC
-- Matilda, 12, NC
-- Aby, 10, NC
-- Blevins, 8, NC
-- Martin, 5, NC
-- James, 3, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
J.C. ANDERS, 55, farmer, $800, $500, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 52, NC
-- Burrus, 14, NC
-- Martin,12, NC
-- Caroline, 7, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: JAMES ANDERS, 50 acres improved land, 150 acres unimproved land, value of farm $800, value of farm implements $20, 2 horses, no asses or mules, 5 milch cows, no working oxen, 6 other cattle, 13 sheep, 21 swine. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
JAMES ANDERS, 68, farmer, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 61, keeps house, NC
-- Burris, 22, NC
-- Caroline, 18, NC
GENTRY, Matilda, 15, M, Domestic Servant, NC
CROUSE, Sally, 93, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
JAMES ANDREWS, 78, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Elizabeth, 60, wife, keeping house, NC NC NC
BURUS ANDREWS, 36, farmer, NC NC NC
-- Lucy J., 24, wife, keeping house, VA VA VA
-- Etta F., 5, dau., NC NC VA
-- William P., 3, son, NC NC VA
Dec. 29, 1840. State of NC to James ANDREWS, 62 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. his own corner & JOHNSON line. Entered Apr. 3, 1839. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2910, Folder No. 18.104.22.16820, Grant No. 2810, Book 147:74.)
Aug. 30, 1855. Ashe Co., NC. Henry WOODRUFF to James ANDERS, 100 acres on the Little River, for $400. Proved Apr. 6, 1857. (Ashe DB 20:92.)
Sept. 1, 1855. Ashe Co., NC. Henry WOODRUFF to James ANDERS, 51 acres on the Little River, for $102. Proved Apr. 6, 1857. (Ashe DB 20:93.)
Feb. 9, 1859. James ANDERS to Wm. H. JOINES, 100 acres beg. on the east side of Little River above a millsite close to the narrows, running west across the river, adj. Wm. ANDERS, the old line, the MOXLEY place, the ally lot, the Store House lot, T.C. DOUGLAS, a branch, the mill tract, & the mill road below the spring, for $400. Signed: James ANDERS. Wits: T.C. DOUGLAS, Jasper BILLINGS. (Alleghany DB 1:144.)
Nov. 17, 1884. James ANDERS & wife Elizabeth to Buras ANDERS, 183 acres on Little River beg. on the mouth of the Big Branch on the bank of Little River, adj. JOINES, FENDER's mill, Orfa ANDERS, & HACKLER, for $100. Signed: James ANDERS. Wits: Wm. H. JOINES, John R. COX. Proved Nov. 6, 1893, by Wm. H. JOINES. Reg. Nov. 8, 1893. (Alleghany DB 9:348.)
Dec. 2, 1895. C.H. COLLINS, Exec'r of James ANDREWS, dec'd, to S.F. JOHNSON & wife Matilda JOHNSON, 51 acres on Little River adj. Malon COLLINS & others, for $206.55. Signed: C.H. COLLINS. Wit: R.A. DOUGHTON. Proved Jan. 8, 1896. Reg. Jan. 16, 1896. (Alleghany DB 10:349.)