of Alleghany County, NC
Jacob Toliver, son of Starling TOLIVER & Millie Ann SPURLIN, was born Feb. 17, 1831, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 22, 1887, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (1) Matilda Higgins, daughter of Hiram HIGGINS & Mary WILLIS, Oct. 1, 1851, in Ashe Co., NC. She was born Jan. 21, 1829, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Sept. 23, 1909, in Alleghany Co., NC. They apparently divorced between 1880-1882. He married (2) Caroline Cheek, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances CROUSE, Apr. 4, 1882, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born June 6, 1849, Ashe Co., NC, and died Dec. 24, 1927, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was the widow of Daniel HIGGINS who died in 1877. Matilda Higgins Toliver is buried at the Crab Creek Primitive Baptist Church in Alleghany Co., NC. Caroline Toliver is buried at the John Higgins Cemetery in Ennice, NC. The location of Jacob Toliver's grave is unknown.
Children of Jacob Toliver & Matilda Higgins:
- Caledonia Amanda Toliver, b. Nov. 16, 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 17, 1918, Grayson Co., VA; m. David RICHARDSON, son of Lewis RICHARDSON & Mary LUNDY, Jan. 9, 1876, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 5, 1856; d. July 7, 1938); bur. Snow Hill Baptist Church, Grayson Co., VA.
- Rosamond Fidella Toliver, b. Mar. 23, 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 24, 1919, Surry Co., NC; m. William ROBERTS, son of Thompson & Sophina ROBERTS of Carroll Co., VA, Jan. 19, 1887 (b. abt. 1857; d. ?); divorced prior to 1900.
- Clark Pleasant Toliver, b. May 25, 1860, Alleghany Co., NC; d. May 22, 1918, Los Angeles Co., CA; m. Sena COLLINS, 1885, Madison Co., NE (b. Dec. 26, 1870; d. Sept. 7, 1950).
- Solomon Toliver, b. abt. 1863, Alleghany Co., NC; d. 1950; m. Sally MCGILL.
- John Huston Toliver, b. Jan. 31, 1867, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Feb. 15, 1949, Catawba Co., NC; m. Lillie THOMPSON, daughter of John THOMPSON & Ann BRYAN of Surry Co., NC (b. June 15, 1878; d. Dec. 29, 1959). John H. Toliver is buried at the Catawba Cemetery in Catawba Co., NC; Lillie Thompson Toliver is buried at the Glade Valley Pres. Church in Alleghany Co., NC.
Child of Jacob Toliver & Caroline Cheek:
- John Clayton Toliver, b. Aug. 23, 1884, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 6, 1952, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Ardelia "Della" EDWARDS, daughter of John EDWARDS & Millie MCGRADY (b. Mar. 25, 1884; d. Aug. 16, 1962); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
acob Toliver was the oldest son of Starling and Millie Ann (Spurlin) Toliver of Ashe/Alleghany County, NC. His birthdate, Feb. 17, 1831, is recorded on the 2nd page of the Jesse Toliver family Bible. Jacob Toliver married his first wife, Matilda Higgins, in 1851, and they had five children. They seem to have divorced sometime between 1880 (when they appear in the census) and 1882, when Jacob married his second wife, Caroline Cheek. On Nov. 5, 1881, Jacob Toliver deeded 80 acres of land to Matilda Toliver; this may have been part of a divorce settlement. Matilda is listed in the 1900 census in Alleghany County with her son John H. Toliver, and she died in 1909.
Oct. 1, 1851. Jacob TOLIVER & Malinda [Matilda?] HIGGINS posted a marriage bond in Ashe Co., NC.
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.416 (HH#419):
JACOB TOLLAVER, 28, farmer, $--, $200, NC
- -- Matilda, 20, NC
- -- Caliadona M., 8, NC
- -- Rosamond F., 2, NC
Civil War: Jacob TOLIVER was a musician in Company K, 37th North Carolina Infantry Native Reserves of Alleghany Co., where he enlisted on Sept. 15, 1861, age 30. He was promoted to drummer on Mar. 1, 1862. Deserted on May 2, 1862, reduced to ranks. Re-enlisted in Burke Co., NC, on Dec. 5, 1863, and served in Co. C, McRae's NC Cavalry Battalion. Taken POW at Wilderness on May 6, 1864, sent to Point Lookout, MD, then to Elmira, NY by July 23, 1864. Exchanged at Venus Point, Savannah River, GA on Nov. 15, 1864. AWOL on Jan. 28, 1865. (Source: "Ashe and Alleghany County in the Civil War" by Jeff Weaver.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
JACOB TOLIVER, 40, farmer, NC
- -- Matilda, 40, keeps house, NC
- -- Manda, 17, NC
- -- Rausey, 13, NC
- -- Clark, 10, NC
- -- Solomon, 7, NC
- -- Huston, 4, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
JACOB TOLIVER, 50, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Matilda, wife, 50, NC NC VA
- -- Rosa, daughter, 21, NC NC NC
- -- Clark, son, 19, " " "
- -- Solomon, son, 16, " " "
- -- Huston, son, 13, " " "
Apr. 4, 1882. Jacob TOLIVER, age 51, Starlin TOLIVER & Milly SPURLIN, m. Caroline CHEEK HIGGINS, age 29, daughter of Richard M. & Frances (Franky) CHEEK. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
1887. Jacob Toliver's estate was probated in Alleghany County in 1887. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.27.)
For additional information see notes under Caroline Cheek.
Nov. 5, 1881. Jacob TOLIVER to Matilda TOLIVER, 80 acres on Crab Creek where Matilda TOLIVER lives adj. TOMPKINS & west bank of Crab Creek, for $200. Signed: Jacob TOLIVER. Wits: T.S. HIGGINS, C.J. TOLIVER. Proved Mar. 15, 1901, by T.S. HIGGINS. Reg. Apr. 8, 1901. (Alleghany DB 15:90.)
May 28, 1886. Jacob TOLIVER & wife Caroline to Thompson KENEDY, 36 acres in Glade Creek Twp. adj. Wiley BLEVINS, Thomas HIGGINS, & EVANS. Signed: Jacob TOLIVER, Caroline (X) TOLIVER. Proved June 12, 1886 (ack'd). Reg. Aug. 2, 1886. (Alleghany DB 7:324.)