Robert Cheek's Land
Henry Mouzon's map of North Carolina, first published in 1775, shows the location of the major creeks and rivers surrounding Hillsborough, North Carolina. The Cheek family lived in the upper branches of New Hope Creek, which flows south from Hillsborough to the Haw River. Notable entries on this map include T. (Thomas) Lloyd, a prominent local resident and British loyalist; the Cane Creek Quaker Meeting House; Lindley's Mill on Cane Creek, site of a battle during the Revolutionary War; and J. (James) Patterson, who owned a tavern at the crossing of the two main roads on New Hope Chapel Hill.
Other families in the area who intermarried with the Cheeks include William Andrews, Sr., who lived on Morgan Creek and Hog Branch, and John Edwards, Sr., who owned land on Collins Creek, Ellerbe (Allabays) Creek, and Marks Creek (possibly an early name for Bolin Creek).