Isom B. Wagoner &
Susanna Jane Cheek
Isom B. Wagoner, son of Henry WAGONER & Sarah HOPPERS, was born Feb. 3, 1827, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 3, 1912, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Susanna Jane Cheek, daughter of Henderson CHEEK & Lucy BRYAN, Sept. 15, 1853, in Ashe Co., NC. She was born Jan 29, 1836, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Dec. 1, 1912, in Alleghany Co., NC. Isom and Susanna Wagoner are buried at the Union Primitive Baptist Church in Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Isom B. Wagoner & Susanna Jane Cheek:
- Sarah Alice Wagoner, b. Aug. 20, 1859, Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC; d. Dec. 19, 1940, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Thomas Allen FENDER, son of Allen FENDER & Nancy EDWARDS, Jan. 7, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 4, 1856; d. Feb. 23, 1948); bur. Union Primitive Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: William Arthur Fender (1877), John Walter Fender (1883), Myrtie J. Fender (1887), Ethel Fender (1898).
- Lucy Ellen Wagoner, b. Jan. 1, 1866, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Sept. 21, 1916, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William Thomas RECTOR, son of James Columbus RECTOR & Rosamond ROBERTS, Jan. 4, 1883, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 30, 1860; d. May 30, 1958); bur. Union Primitive Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Rosa J. Rector (1891), Carrie R. Rector (c.1901).
som B. Wagoner was the youngest of five children of Henry WAGONER and his first wife, Sarah HOPPERS, of Peak Creek Township in Ashe County, NC. (Henry Wagoner also had ten children by his second wife Nelly TAYLOR.) Isom B. Wagoner relocated to Alleghany County after he married Susanna Jane Cheek in 1853, and they settled near Whitehead close to Susanna's family. They are both buried at the Union Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery in Whitehead. (See Alleghany County Cemeteries Through 1986, pub. by the Alleghany Co. Hist-Gen. Society.) They had only two children, Sarah Alice Wagoner who married Thomas Allen FENDER, and Lucy Ellen Wagoner who married William Thomas RECTOR.
Dept. 15, 1853. Isom WAGONER & Jane CHEEK posted a marriage bond in Ashe Co., NC, with bondsman Henderson CHEEK. Marriage performed Sept. 15, 1853, by M. BRYAN; witness, R. GAMBILL, clerk. (Source: Ashe County Marriage Bonds, New River Notes)
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp., p.394
ISOM WAGGONER, 30, farmer, $1500, $1450, NC
- -- Jane, 34, NC
- -- Sarah, 1, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: ISHAM WAGGONER, 50 acres improved land, 75 acres unimproved land, value of farm $500, value of farm implements $25, 2 horses, no asses/mules, 3 milch cows, no working oxen, 4 other cattle, 20 sheep, 15 swine, value of livestock $350. (Source: New River Notes.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
ISOM WAGGONER, 43, farmer, NC
- -- Susan J., 34, NC
- -- Sarah, 10, NC
- -- Ellen, 4, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
ISOM WAGGONER, 52, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Jane, 44, wife, NC NC NC
- -- Lucy, 13, dau, NC NC NC
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp.
ISOM WAGONER, Feb. 1827, age 73, m. 46 yrs, NC NC NC
- -- Susan J., wife, Jan 1836, age 64, m. 46 yrs, 2 children born, 2 living, NC NC NC
Jan. 14, 1903. Isom B. WAGGONER, John CHOAT, and M.A. HIGGINS were appointed to partition land belonging to Solomon FENDER, deceased. (Source: Alleghany County Court records, transcribed by Carolyn Spence.)
- 1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp., p.7
ISOM WAGONER, 83, m. 53 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Jane, wife, 73, m. 53 yrs, 2 children/2 living, NC NC NC
Apr. 26, 1869. Jacob HOPPERAS [HOPPERS] to Isom WAGGONER, 15 acres on Little River beg. on Daniel HOPPERAS old corner running south to the Little River, adj. Mary HOPPERAS, for $65. Signed: Jacob (X) HOPPERAS. Wits: Josiah CAUDILL, Daniel WHITEEAD [WHITEHEAD]. Proved Sept. 27, 1869, by Daniel WHITEEAD. (Alleghany DB 1:362, 3:192.)
Oct. 25, 1875. A.J. WOODRUFF & wife Nancy to Isom WAGGONER, 63 acres on Little River adj. Jesse P. CAUDILL & Henry WAGGONER, for $400. Signed: A.J. WOODRUFF, Nancy (X) WOODRUFF. Wits: I.M. BROWN, Geo. W. THOMPSON. Proved Nov. 18, 1875 (ack'd). Reg. Nov. 18, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:92.)
Mar. 4, 1876. Daniel WHITEAD [WHITEHEAD] to William WHITEAD, Josiah CAUDILL, & Isom WAGGONER, Trustees of the Union Church, 7/8 acre on Little River where the Union Church is now situated, for $1, for so long as it shall remain an old Primitive Baptist church. Signed: Daniel WHITEAD. Wits: D.C. WHITEAD, Robert THOMPSON. Proved July 4, 1876, by Robert THOMPSON. (Alleghany DB 3:228.)
Mar. 8, 1876. Jacob HOPPERS, Isom WAGGONER & Martha A.J. WAGGONER, boundary arbitration. Isom WAGGONER & Martha A.J. WAGGONER hold the land to the old HOPPAS [HOPPERS] line now owned by RICHARDSON & it runs up said line to the Little River Jacob HOPPAS fence north of Isom WAGGONER's house. Signed: J.H. PARKS, C.J. EDWARDS, Alex. HAMPTON, Arbitrators. Wit: M.F. JOINES, C.S. [County Surveyor]. Proved Apr. 17, 1876, by M.F. JOINES. (Alleghany DB 2:326.)
Feb. 26, 1884. Henderson CHEEK & wife Lucy to S. Jane WAGGONER, a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] adj. Isom REYNOLDS, W.B. CHEEK, & an agreed line btw. Jane WAGGONER & F.B. CHEEK, for $375. Signed: Henderson CHEEK, Lucy CHEEK. Wits: F.B. CHEEK, W.P. MAXWELL. Proved Nov. 26, 1884; M.F. JOINES, J.P. Reg. Nov. 12, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:1.)
Oct. 20, 1890. Allen IRWIN & Thos. EDWARDS make oath that they held a bond from Isom WAGONER & Thos. FENDER granting a water way through WAGONER & FENDER's meadow to the line of Meredith RICHARDSON towards the mill sold to them by Levi JOINES, said waterway to run where the road is now located. The bond is lost or misplaced and cannot be found, therefore we ask that the provision of said bond be complied with. Signed: Allen IRWIN, Thos. EDWARDS. Wit: H.D. ESTEP. Reg. Feb. 11, 1934. (Alleghany DB 42:558.)