Hiram Reeves Crouse
& Phebe Cheek
Hiram Reeves Crouse, son of Reeves CROUSE & Caroline EDWARDS, was born Nov. 10, 1864, in Alleghany Co., NC, and died Dec. 27, 1936, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Phebe Jane Cheek, daughter of Meredith CHEEK & Sarah ANDREWS, Jan. 1, 1892, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Aug. 15, 1863, in Alleghany Co., NC, and died Sept. 9, 1950, in in Alleghany Co., NC. Hiram and Phebe Crouse are buried at the Nichols Cemetery, Road 1121, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Hiram Reeves Crouse & Phebe Cheek:
- Meredith Elmer Crouse, b. Dec. 8, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 30, 1971, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Ella CLEARY, daughter of William CLEARY & Elizabeth BILLINGS (b. Jan. 14, 1894; d. July 14, 1973); bur. Union Primitive Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Charlie B. Crouse, b. Mar. 1896, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Jan. 24, 1916, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Arza Rufus Crouse, b. May 13, 1899, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Sept. 24, 1971, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Bessie BROWN, daughter of James F. BROWN & Mallie RICHARDSON; bur. Pine Swamp Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Harvey Isom Crouse, b. May 6, 1905, Alleghany Co., NC; d. June 30, 1977; m. Eura JOHNSON, daughter of Aaron Ashley JOHNSON & Frances Lucinda CAUDILL (b. Nov. 14, 1907; d. May 15, 1949); bur. New Salem Baptist Church, Road 1123, Alleghany Co., NC.
Jan. 1, 1892. H.R CROUSE, age 27, son of Reeves CROUSE & Caroline EDWARDS, m. Phebe CHEEK, age 21 [31?], daughter of Meredith CHEEK & Sarah (Sally) ANDREWS. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
Sept. 14, 1892. D.R. COX & wife Cynthia E. COX, Melvin B. COX & wife Rosa COX, of Alleghany Co., NC, & M.G. NORMAN & M.T. NORMAN of Fergus Co., MT, to H.R. CROUSE of Alleghany Co., NC, for $400, all their interest in a tract of land on Little River & Brush Creek adj. Isom EDWARDS, W.H. JOINES, & others. Signed: D.R. COX, Cintha E. COX, Melvin B. COX, Rosa E. COX, Willard G. NORMAN, Millard T. NORMAN. Reg. Oct. 22, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:304.)
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
HIRAM R. CROWSE, Dec. 1864, age 35, m. 8 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Phebe, wife, Aug. 1862, age 37, m. 8 yrs, 3 children /3 living, NC NC NC
- -- Merdith E., son, Dec. 1892, age 7, NC NC NC
- -- Charley B., son, Mar. 1896, age 4, NC NC NC
- -- Arza R., son, May 1899, age 1, NC NC NC
1910 Census: not listed.
- 1920 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp., p.10
PHEBIE CROUSE, 53, married, NC NC NC, farming - general farm
- -- Meredith E., son, 26, NC NC NC, machinist
- -- Harvey I., son, 14, " " "
- -- Arza R., son, 20, " " "
- -- Bessie, wife, 18, " " "
- 1930 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp., p.4
REEVES CROUSE, 64, 1st m. at age 30, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Pheba, wife, 58, 1st m. at age 24, NC NC NC
Death Certificate: PHEBIE JANE CROUSE, age 87, b. 15 Aug 1863, Alleghany Co., NC; d. 9 Sept 1950, Sparta, Alleghany Co., NC; father: Merdith CHEEK; mother: Sally ANDREWS; burial: Nichols Cemetery. (Ancestry.com)
Pheoba Cheek Crouse was born Aug.15, 1863, departed this life Sept, 9, 1950, making her stay on earth 87 years and 24 days. She was married to Reeves H, Crouse Jan. 1, 1892, Unto this union were born four children: Elmer, Arza, Harvey and Charlie who preceded her in death Jan 24, 1916. Her husband also preceded her in death Dec.27, 1936.
She received a sweet hope in Christ many years ago. For some reason she never united with any church.
She leaves 3 children, 11 grandchildren, 4 great-grarldchildren and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her passing.
A precious one from us is gone
A voice we loved is still,
A place is vacant in our home
That never can be filled.
Funeral services were conducted at New Salem Church by Elders M. K. Cook and Walter Evans in the presence of a large crowd of sorrowing relatives and friends. Her body was laid to rest in the family cemetery to wait the Resurrection Morning.
Written by Elder Walter Evans